richard barbrook on 9 Aug 2000 06:26:45 -0000

Re: <nettime> Interview with Peter Lunenfeld

Hiya,

Just to clear up a misunderstanding:

>When Richard Barbrook and
>Andy Cameron wrote "The Californian Ideology,"
>for some of us who were working here, the tone of the
>article rankled: "So far, the Californians have proved to be better at
>making virtual machines than social analyses." This is a typical European
>attitude ‚ the New World makes, the Old World thinks.

This is *not* what the sentence means. What it really says is that the New
World makes good things and thinks lazy thoughts.

Funnily enough, 'The Californian Ideology' was primarily inspired by our
annoyance at the way that the Old World thinks about the Net whatever the
New World thinks. Look at the uncritical reception given over here to
'Wired' in '95 - and to Manuel Castells today...

Later,

Richard

Dr. Richard Barbrook
Hypermedia Research Centre
School of Communications and Creative Industries
University of Westminster
Watford Road
Northwick Park
HARROW HA1 3TP