McKenzie Wark on 9 Aug 2000 00:58:18 -0000

Re: <nettime> Internet in Cambodian village

If a network comes to a Cambodian village, and the New York Times is not
there to cover it, does it make a sound?

One of the ironies of the internet's supposedly decentralising effects is
how much the metropolian media shapes perceptions of decentralisation
itself.

many thanks to Andrew for the memory...

"We no longer have roots, we have aerials."
http://www.mcs.mq.edu.au/~mwark
 -- McKenzie Wark

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, andrew garton [c2o] wrote:

> >From the net-archives:
>
> A email and conferencing network hub was up and running in Cambodia as
> early as 1994. There were no press releases, no international
> spokespersons, no newspapers, no television.

<.....>