alex galloway on Tue, 16 May 2000 20:11:27 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Re: (protocol) Re: Histories

>At 1:25 PM -0400 5/14/00, Jennifer Crowe wrote:
><snip>
> >
> >[let me ammend this: I was specifically refering to .txt files that
> >comprise the textbase- plain text (which when it boils down to it the
> >Rhizome archive is) it will most likely port better than stuff that is
> >specically dependent on hardware, like an artwork that is dependent on a
> >certain type of machine (with like you say 5.25 floppies, etc). This is
> >never foolproof of course. But for the time being, the texts at Rhizome
> >and Nettime etc are what alot of people are going off of. And, yes it's
> >true that their server could be wiped out at anytime in a flood or
> >something...true, true, true!]
></snip>
>
>could the administrators of these lists post some comments on their
>long-term plans for archival of the texts?

about rhizome...

Rhizome Digest is archived and available at http://rhizome.org/archive.
Years 2000 and 1999 of the Digest are currently online. Older years will be
uploaded soon.

The other two email lists, Rhizome Raw and Leonardo@Rhizome.org, are
currently not archived. However, a filtered selection of Rhizome Raw *is*
archived in the online contentbase. These emails create the content for
both Rhizome Digest and the Fresh page (http://rhizome.org/fresh). Today,
approximately 1 in 10 emails are saved and archived in the contentbase.
Earlier in our history, when the volume on Raw was lower, the ratio was
more like 1 in 3. Emails selected for the contentbase are formated into
plain text, then indexed by keyword, name, place, title, category, type and
date.

The Rhizome contentbase is backed-up periodically using normal protocols,
plus a semi-complete archive lives on my home computer and probably in a
few other places (eat your heart out, 0100101110101101.ORG!). Rhizome is
dedicated to long term preservation, so this material is not likely to
disappear any time soon.

Rhizome has produced no print publications to date.

ideas and suggests? post to list@rhizome.org.

best,

-ag