t.whid on Sun, 14 May 2000 21:46:19 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Re: (protocol) Re: Histories

this was taken from an ongoing discussion between jennifer crowe and
pat lichty re: history of net art. (taken from the list protocol
prone http://www.artnetweb.com/protocol

At 1:25 PM -0400 5/14/00, Jennifer Crowe wrote:
<snip>

>[let me ammend this: I was specifically refering to .txt files that
>comprise the textbase- plain text (which when it boils down to it the
>Rhizome archive is) it will most likely port better than stuff that is
>specically dependent on hardware, like an artwork that is dependent on a
>certain type of machine (with like you say 5.25 floppies, etc). This is
>never foolproof of course. But for the time being, the texts at Rhizome
>and Nettime etc are what alot of people are going off of. And, yes it's
>true that their server could be wiped out at anytime in a flood or
>something...true, true, true!]
</snip>

could the administrators of these lists post some comments on their
long-term plans for archival of the texts? how many back-ups are on
how many servers? are there foundations with a mission to preserve
them? if not, perhaps rhizome, thing, nettime could create one, or
band together to lobby for international funding for one?

or point us to the public policies you have posted.

thanx

=
=
=