Jeffrey Fisher on Sat, 22 Apr 2000 18:36:14 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ACTION ALERT: NYT Op-Ed Page Shuts Out IMF/WB Critics

     [reformatted @ nettime]

Sheila Conroy wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: FAIR-L <FAIR-L@FAIR.ORG>
To: <FAIR-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 1:14 PM
Subject: [FAIR-L] ACTION ALERT: NYT Op-Ed Page Shuts Out IMF/World Bank
Critics

                                 FAIR-L
                    Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
               Media analysis, critiques and news reports

ACTION ALERT:
New York Times Op-Ed Page Shuts Out IMF/World Bank Critics

April 20, 2000

The recent protests against IMF and World Bank policies provoked a
deepening
and widening of debate on globalization in much of the media, yet the New
York Times' op-ed page has taken a remarkably one-sided approach to the
issue.

The Times has run five op-eds critical of the Mobilization for Global
Justice, and none that supported it, or even treated its concerns
respectfully ("Saving the Lost World," by Thomas L. Friedman, 3/31/00;
"Parsing the Protests," by Thomas L. Friedman, 4/14 /00; "Learning to Love
the  I.M.F.,"  by E. M. Brown, 4/18/00; "A Real Nut Case," by Paul
Krugman,
4/19/00; and "Protesting, but Why?,"  by David Frum, 4/19/00).

On April 19, David Frum unleashed an unsubstantiated diatribe against the
activists who gathered in Washington, D.C., describing them as incoherent,
intellectually gutless people who "hate dams and airports and economists."
On the same day, Paul Krugman caricatured the recommendations of World
Bank
critics, dismissing them as the "rarely fact-checked" notions of "a small,
relatively privileged minority" that would harm the poor. E. M. Brown
portrayed the activists as idealistic but misinformed. Thomas L. Friedman,
after misrepresenting the analyses of many IMF/World Bank critics, angrily
concluded that they are "contemptible," a group of "economic quacks" who
deserved to be labeled "The Coalition to Keep the World's Poor People
Poor"
and given "the back of your hand."

When will critics of the World Bank and IMF get to speak for themselves on
the Times op-ed page?  Walden Bello, Njoki Njoroge Njeheu, Mark Weisbrot,
Juliette Beck, Cheryl Payer and Ralph Nader all come to mind as experts
qualified to represent the many perspectives on hand in D.C. Instead, the
Times has chosen to feature writers that denigrate and insult their
concerns, goals and considerable expertise. A debate this one-sided does a
great disservice to readers of the paper.

ACTION: If you are concerned that the Times' op-ed page has so far
addressed
the complex issues raised by the protesters in D.C. only by featuring
vitriolic-- and, in many cases, substantially inaccurate-- attacks on
them,
contact the paper directly.

New York Times
Katherine J. Roberts, Op-Ed Page Editor
mailto:letters@nytimes.com
Fax: (212) 556-4100
Voicemail: (212) 556-3652

                               ----------

Feel free to respond to FAIR ( fair@fair.org ). We can't reply to
everything, but we will look at each message. We especially appreciate
documented example of media bias or censorship. All messages to the
'FAIR-L' list will be forwarded to the editor of the list.

Also, please send copies of email correspondence, including any

Feel free to spread this message around. Put it on conferences
where it is appropriate. We depend on word of mouth to get our message
out, so please let others know about FAIR and this mailing list.

Don't miss a single e-mail from FAIR-L.

You can subscribe to FAIR-L at our web site:
http://www.fair.org/emaillist.html
Or, you can send a "subscribe FAIR-L enter your full name"
command to LISTSERV@AMERICAN.EDU.

The subscriber list is kept confidential, so no need to worry about
spammers.

You may leave the list at any time by sending a "SIGNOFF FAIR-L"
command to LISTSERV@AMERICAN.EDU.

Please support FAIR by becoming a member.
You will receive FAIR's magazine, EXTRA! and its newsletter, EXTRA!
Update. You can become a member by calling 1-800-847-3993 from 9 to
5 Eastern Time (be sure to tell them you got the information
on-line) or by sending $19 with your name and address to:

                    FAIR/EXTRA! Subscription Service
                              P.O. Box 170
                         Congers, NY 10920-9930

                                  FAIR