nettime_announcer on Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:12:26 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> announcer 00.12 [c]

                                                                   - - - - - - -
                                                                   | 0 0 . 1 2 |
                                                                   - - - - - - -

                                                   <nettime> announcer   |  a
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |  c <<

                                                                         - - - -
                                     (Y) <yann@x-arn.org> : x-00/event   | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
         info@geuzen.org : S I T U A T I N G   T E C H N O L O G I E S   | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
    gary hall <gary.hall@connectfree.co.uk> : Culture Machine, Issue 2   | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -
Alice Smits <113163.120@compuserve.com> : Hotel New York PS1, March 19   | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -
              split.filmfest@st.tel.hr : CALL FOR ENTRIES - SPLIT 2000   | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -
             Christine Treguier <lagadu@altern.org> : Les Virtualistes   | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -
                                          eikona@hol.gr : Helicomaison   | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -
                mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net> : the art of dr charles smith   | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -
           Tom Sherman <twsherma@mailbox.syr.edu> : NERVE THEORY IN NY   | 2 0 |
                                                                         - - - -
                 isea <isea@isea.qc.ca> : ChatterBox & ISEA Newsletter   | 2 1 |
                                                                         - - - -
G.Rondeaux@ulg.ac.be: Public Administration in the Information Society   | 2 2 |
                                                                         - - - -
         Sven Spieker <spieker@humanitas.ucsb.edu> : New in ARTMargins   | 2 3 |
                                                                         - - - -
                                info@piratetv.net : Live TV on the net   | 2 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

                                delivered each weekend into your inbox   |

                                          mailto:nettime@bbs.thing.net   |

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

x-00 : 16-19 mars 2000
Lorient / http://x-arn.org/x-00/

The purpose of the device-event is to experiment, in an open context,
the notion of "area directed by and through the Net", or, how a
multi-media diffusion network can locally interact with the public and
conversely ?

joining on line :
Enter / x-ØØ LIVE MACHINE : http://x-arn.org/x-00/00/

e-vening* : open program of meetings on/off/line
Feel free to propose
http://x-arn.org/x-00/online-e.html

--------<Schedule : x-00 / French time
UTC+1>------------------------------------

thursday 16th
-----------------------------6h30 pm
Le lieu Gallery
Andrea Wollensak
'Public gestures / Private path' / preview
http://x-arn.org/x-00/AW/

-----------------------------9h pm
ARN [ pass]
e-vening*

friday 17th
-----------------------------1h45 pm
Pol Guezennec : "chasse aux HQM"
HQM hunting in Lorient / public workshop
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pol.guezennec/hqm/

-----------------------------2h/7h pm
Media Library / Lorient [free access]

-----------------------------2h/4h pm
Annie Abrahams : "wishes/voeux"
HTML workshop / take part in annie's work
[12 persons - booking] :
http://www.bram.org
http://www.bram.org/wishes/index.htm

-----------------------------2h/6h pm
Clement Thomas : "Carnets de bal"
low tech newsgroup : "Dance card"
http://ctgr.free.fr/cdb.htm
http://pavu.com

-----------------------------4h/6h pm
Patrick Bernier - Olive Martin : "Cam_and_Chat"
Drive actors via IRC
http://www.491.org/cam_and_chat/webcam
IRC : FR.UnderNet.org #atelierenreseau

-----------------------------7h15 pm
Frédéric de La Hogue : x-00 online opening

-----------------------------7h30 pm
ARN
pavu.com : press conference
Paul Dupouy, JP Halgand and C.Thomas
http://pavu.com
-/ welcome in a plining world ! /-

-----------------------------9h pm
ARN [pass]
e-vening*

saturday 18th
-----------------------------2h/7h pm
ARN [pass]

Jean Philippe Halgand : artistic commitments on the net.
http://pavu.com

Frederic Madre : pleine-peau, magazine
http://pleine-peau.com

Eric Sadin : Artistic practices & new technologies :
"Pratiques poétiques complexes & nouvelles technologies : la création
d'une agence d'écriture".

Andrea Wollensak : 'Public gestures / Private path'
http://n2.burnettgroup.com/lorient

-----------------------------5h pm

Olivier Auber : "Générateur Poïétique"
collective live experiment in real time.
Meeting at arn & online : 5h pm (4:00pm UTC)
http://www.infres.enst.fr/~auber/

-----------------------------6h pm
Olivier Zablocki
About "the last km2"
Radiophare et "les cellules civiles d'information"
Civil information group
http://radiophare.net

-----------------------------10h pm
ARN [pass]

d2b : b0x/x-00
http://www.d2b.org

sunday 19th
-----------------------------2h/7h pm
ARN [pass]
open workshop

[pass / arn access] : 150FF
on line booking :
http://x-arn.org/x-00/application_formx-00/application.html

e-vening* : open program of meetings on/off/line
http://x-arn.org/x-00/online-e.html

joining on line :
Enter / x-ØØ LIVE MACHINE : http://x-arn.org/x-00/00/

ARN [actions reseaux numeriques]
13 rue Beauvais 56100 LORIENT FR
+33 (0)297645818 arn@x-arn.org
http://x-arn.org

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

De Geuzen (a foundation for multi-visual research)
presents:
S I T U A T I N G   T E C H N O L O G I E S
a symposium critically assessing technologies
S A T U R D A Y  1  A P R I L  1 4 : 0 0
De Balie / Grote Zaal
Irina Aristarkhova
The Bureau of Inverse Technologies
Karin Spaink
Frank Webster
"The new media and technologies by which we amplify and extend ourselves
constitute huge collective surgery carried out on the social body with
complete disregard for antiseptics. If the operations are needed, the
inevitability of infecting the whole system during the operation has to be
considered. For in operating on society with a new technology, it is not
the incised area that is most affected. The area of impact and incision is
numb. It is the entire system that is changed." (Marshall McLuhan,
Understanding Media: the extensions of man, 1964)
As McLuhan writes in Understanding Media, technological developments affect
our entire system of living, from the way we communicate, to the speed at
which we move, to how we understand and relate to our social and spatial
environment. SITUATING TECHNOLOGIES is a symposium critically assessing
these changes by looking at the shifting surface of the technoscape. Moving
away from polemic predictions of utopia or dystopia, the event will
concentrate on technologies in context, localising them in the way they
operate in everyday life. Especially in relation to information
technologies, the conference will look at how these systems inhabit us and
we inhabit them. Overall the day will be devoted to understanding the
social spaces and relations evolving out of today's communication networks
and the impact they have on our culture or cultures in general. Rather than
viewing technology as a natural or inevitable force, SITUATING TECHNOLOGIES
aims to plot strategies for analysis, critical engagement and appropriation.
As part of this symposium videos will be screened by a/o. Tran T. Kim-Trang
Joseph Hyde, George Barber and Ciara Finnegan.
During the event the V2_store (Rotterdam) will be selling related books and
publications.
IRINA ARISTARKHOVA (RUS)
is author of the essay Cyber-Jouissance and Senior Lecturer at the
Department of Art Theory and Art History at Lasalle-Sia College of Arts,
Singapore. She is head of the Centre for Women's Studies in Moscow and an
editorial board member of the art journal, Radek: Art, Theory, Politics.
THE BUREAU OF INVERSE TECHNOLOGIES (BIT) (USA/UK/AU),
represented by Kate Rich.
The Bureau is an information agency servicing the Information Age (formed
Melbourne 1991, incorporated Delaware 1999). BIT agents are involved in the
design, engineering, critical deployment and media documentation of a
series of BIT techno-products. Some of the Bureau's recent technological
developments have been tracking and data devices such as the SUICIDE BOX,
the BIT PLANE and the BANG BANG camera network.
KARIN SPAINK (NL)
is a media theorist who has written extensively on technology, health and
bodies. As a media activist she has fought for and written about freedom of
speech on the net. She is a regular contributor to the magazine "De Groene
Amsterdammer", and is author of (Passionate imperfections) Aan hartstocht
geen gebrek. To know more about her work see:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kspaink/index.html
FRANK WEBSTER (UK)
is Professor of Sociology in the Department of Cultural Studies and
Sociology at the University of Birmingham. He is co-author with Kevin
Robins of Times of the Technoculture: From the information society to
virtual life (Routledge: 1999), a book examining the social implications of
the information age.

S I T U A T I N G   T E C H N O L O G I E S
Saturday 1 April 2000
14.00-18.00 uur
Lobby opens at 13:00
The symposium is English spoken
De Balie: Grote Zaal
Kleine Gartmanplantsoen 10
1017 RR Amsterdam
Entrance fee: f12,50 (f10,00 with CJP/student/Stadspas/Pas65)
Reservations: 020 5535100
For more information: +31(0)20 5535151 (de Balie), +31(0)20 6188324 /
info@geuzen.org (de Geuzen)

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

Available now on a computer near you… free!

CULTURE MACHINE 2 (2000)

The University Culture Machine

Edited by Gary Hall  and Simon Wortham

http://culturemachine.tees.ac.uk

Featuring:

Jacques Derrida, ‘Intellectual Courage’

J. Hillis Miller, 'Stay! Speak, Speak. I Charge Thee, Speak'

Geoffrey Bennington, ‘Frontiers: Of Literature and Philosophy’

Diane Elam, ‘Why Read?’

Stephen Jarvis, ‘Belonging without Belonging: Deconstruction, Literature
and the Institution’

Graham MacPhee, ‘Beautiful Knowledge, or, Reproducing the University
Again? Walter Benjamin and the Institution of  Knowledge’

Henry A. Giroux, ‘Cultural Politics and the Crisis of the University’

Ted Striphas, ‘Banality, Book Publishing, and the Everyday Life of
Cultural Studies’

Samuel Weber, ‘The Future of the Humanities: Experimenting’

David Kolb, ‘Hypertext as Subversive?’

Simon Wortham, ‘RAEilty’

Culture Machine welcomes original, unpublished, unsolicited submissions
on any aspect of culture and theory. Anyone with material they would
like to submit for publication is invited to contact:

Culture Machine c/o Dave Boothroyd and Gary Hall
School of Law, Arts and Humanities
University of Teesside
Borough Road
Middlesbrough
TS1 3BA
UK

e-mail: g.hall@tees.ac.uk
or d.boothroyd@tees.ac.uk

------------------------------

Call for Contributions

Culture Machine 3:
'Virologies: Culture and Contamination'

Edited by Dave Boothroyd and Diane Morgan

Culture Machine is currently seeking to publish work undertaken from a
variety of perspectives and disciplinary bases,
which addresses or proposes analyses of culture, cultural ‘phenomena’,
‘forms’, ‘practices’ and ‘events’, in relation to
theorizations of the nature/culture distinction and the ideas of the
human informed by post- and anti-humanist thinking.
____________

technology as evolution; wetware/software/hardware: rethinking evolution
and developments in bio-sciences; AIDS and
the cultural imagination; psychoanalysis in post-human times; cultural
transmission and pedagogy; cultural studies as
resistance; cultural immunologies; viral communications;
cross-culturalism as 'infection', cultural mutations and the
evolution of hybridities;  purity and contamination in
post-anthropological thought; bodies, foreign bodies and anti-bodies:
new ideas of the counter-cultural; mutation vs. progress: the politics
of adaptation
____________

Contributions, on such themes as those above and other related topics
suitable for this edition, in the form of original
finished articles, critical engagements with relevant key texts,
multi-media or hypertext  pieces and critical reviews, or
abstracts (of work in progress),  may be sent simultaneously to:

d.boothroyd@tees.ac.uk,
diane1@aol.com

All contributions will be peer-reviewed; all correspondence will be
responded to.

For more information, visit the Culture Machine site at:

http://culturemachine.tees.ac.uk

Please feel free to forward this mail.

--
Culture Machine: Generating Research in Culture and Theory
http://culturemachine.tees.ac.uk

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 5 |
                                                                         - - - -

HOTEL NEW YORK
P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center Gallery 205

Hotel New York is an initiative of the Dutch artist Jeanne van Heeswijk,
that marked her participation in the International Studio Program 1998/99
at PS1. Jeanne has passed the torch to Alice Smits to organize Hotel New
York 2000.

Gallery 205 at PS1 is transformed into a replica of a hotelroom of Hotel
New York in Rotterdam, located in the former head office of the
Holland-America line. Until 1978 people from all over Europa left for
America from this harbour town to find their luck across the ocean. The
studio is called the Willem de Kooning Room, in memory of Willem de Kooning
who left Rotterdam as a stowaway on board of the Holland-America line to
New York.

With Hotel New York PS1 a cultural line to New York is created. Hotel New
York functions as a working and showing space for artists, performers,
filmmakers and curators. During the year Alice Smits will invite guests to
present projects, performances, and lectures to the public. As a hotelroom,
Hotel New York echoes the history of travel and thus reflects the migration
and nomadic movements of the contemporary art world. While artists and
curators travel all over the world, the hotel room is where it all happens.
Hotel New York is a space for live events focusing on artists projects that
emphasis interdisciplinarity and public interaction. In the intimate
situation of a living space, Hotel New York offers an interesting context
for making and presenting such projects within the contemporary art museum.

Sunday, March 18, 2 - 6 PM: Colin Beatty and Christian Uhl present their
collaborative project "Defenestration:  Performance for Hotel New York".

Between the hours of 2 and 6 p.m. Colin Beatty and Christian Uhl will
repeatedly defenestrate from the Hotel New York room at P.S.1. Physical
assistance and social interaction between the two will be deployed as they
control and negotiate the gesture of rapidly departing a room through its
window.

Next week Hotel New York will host its first guests from The Netherlands.
On Sunday March 26 theater duo "De Ket and Van Houts" will perform a
combination of  old and new work. Their performances can be described as a
cross-over between theater, art and stand-up comedy, often involving active
audience participation and always engaging critical issues in an
entertaining way.

For information contact Alice Smits via email, 113163,120@compuserve.com or
call 212 726 3048

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 6 |
                                                                         - - - -

INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF NEW FILM - Split, Croatia

The 5th Int'l Festival of New Film will take place from
September 23rd - 30th 2000 in Split, on the Adriatic
coast of Croatia and is now accepting entries for its
annual presentation.

The Festival is open to all new, creative, innovative,
personal, radical, subversive etc work (FILM, VIDEO &
NEW MEDIA) of all styles, themes, genres and lengths,
preferably from outside the mainstream, whether it's
involving traditional film techniques or the latest
technology of electronic image.

To obtain an Entry Form please visit festival's web site,
or contact us if you want sent it to your address.

http://www.st.carnet.hr/split-filmfest/

PP 244 (Kralja Tomislava 15)
HR-21000 Split
Hrvatska / Croatia
tel: +385 21 348 001
fax:                  348 002
e-mail  split.filmfest@st.tel.hr

REGULATIONS

All works must have been completed after January 1st 1999.
The deadline for entries is June 1st 2000.
Screening copies must reach Split by September 10th 2000.

All submissions must include a VHS preview tape, or CD-ROM,
as applicable, accompanied by an entry form (or necessary
information on artist and work) completed in Croatian or
English, along with supporting documentation.

Preview entries should be mailed as Small Packet/petit Pacquet
and must be clearly labelled for custom purposes as follows:
Video cassette, no commercial value, cultural exchange only.
Please allow ONLY ONE item per tape.
PREVIEW TAPES & DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE RETURNED.

There's no limit to the duration of entries. The selection panel
will select work for competition (or other programmes),
the international juries will award prizes.

Entries selected for screenings will be notified promptly after
selection of procedures for transporting screening copies.

The Festival will make all reasonable effort to present work
in the best possible conditions. Transport of the copies is
at the risk of the sender.

The screening copies will be returned after 15 days (if not
arranged otherwise). The cost of return shipment will, as
a rule, be paid by the Festival.

Unless specific written notice is given to the contrary,
the Festival reserves the right to print any accompanying
information and still photographs for promotional
reasons, or in Festival's catalogue.

Screenings of selected films and videos, CD-ROMs,
installations, Internet projects, performances,
retrospectives, hommages, (workshops), discussions
and the catalogue will be presented at the Festival

Along with special money prizes, the Festival sculpture
(Grand Prix: The Tail) will be awarded for each category
(film, video & new media) by international juries.

All entries should be sent to:

INT'L FESTIVAL OF NEW FILM
PO Box 244 (Kralja Tomislava 15)
Split 21 000
Croatia / Hrvatska

Sunny Split might also be a good place for the promotion
of  recent production as an Art Film Market will
take place during the Festival. It will concentrate on
growing South European Market area as majority of distributors
for this part of the world are located in Croatia.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 7 |
                                                                         - - - -

I'd like to let you know about a recent VR artwork I have been
producing with Les Virtualistes.

The title of the piece is  "Article 30", and it focuses on the brand
new concept of "humanitarian war" vs human rights

A first presentation will occur on friday march 24th, the anniversary
date of NATO's intervention in Kosovo, at :
Societe Virale - Cimetiere Global organised by Peyotl
Acces Local - 15 rue Martel - 75010 Paris
Friday march 24 19H/24H and saturday march 25 15H/24H

Christine

ARTICLE 3O

 ARTICLE 30 :  Nothing in this Declaration may
be interpreted as implying for any State, group
or person any right to engage in any activity
to perform any act aimed at the destruction of
any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

« Article 30 » is a labyrinth inhabited by images, images of war,
misery and human sufferings, images of the planet’s syndromes,
skillfully distillated by media so as to vanish into oblivion.

The labyrinth is used as a metaphor of the world’s non-sense, of a
surveillance and control society and of our own feeling of
helplessness: we wander in this world looking for an exit, a solution.
We are submitted to its randomness, with no real clue for changing it.
Should we therefore agree to be passive observers? Our presence
affects directly our environment. Interaction is the word. But is it?
Turn right or left, hear or listen, see or watch, forgo or make use of
our freewill and all its embedded consequences?

When facing an image, the space fills up with voices, echoing
presences reading one by one, in ten languages, the 30 articles of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Reminding us that we all bear
responsibilities for the disorders of the planet. Responsible we are.
For doing nothing. For willingly respecting them or not. For the
choice of weapons and for endorsing the ensued collateral damages.

end-of-the century avatar of humanitarian action, in complete
contradiction with article 30 of the Declaration it claims to respect.
The recent interventions of the «international community» - in
Somalia, Kosovo, East Timor - are obvious signs of a new world order
proclaimed by the states - America in first position - which have
enough military might to ignore international laws and public opinion.
They are nothing but gruesome games of influence, killing 90% of civil
victims on behalf of an absurb «zero death» objective.

© Les Virtualistes 2000
Pascal Schmitt, Christine Treguier, Erik Adelbert, Yasha
Hervé Arnoud, Paul Brock, Stéphane Daloz
with the assistance of Virtual Presence Ltd

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 8 |
                                                                         - - - -

Dear friends,

  My name is Manthos Santorineos. My son Yiannis wanted me to create an
  "helicomaison" (helicopter house) for him and his friends. Although I have
  more important things to do, such as be the director of the FOURNOS Centre for
  Art and Technology (organizer of the Mediaterra festival,
  www.fournos-culture.gr), I decided to go ahead and do him this favour. I made
  this decision because, above all, I am an artist (www.hol.gr/artists/crash).
  As an artist I feel very guilty when confronted by children because they see
  things in a better way than I do, whereas I on the other hand insist on
  teaching them how to see.

  I already fooled my son when I told him that we are going to make the
  helicomaison together. What I had in mind was a sketch, an artistic piece of
  work based on a utopic setting of my own. He was expecting a real helicomaison
  for his birthday in order to have a party in there with his friends. When we
  started the project Yannis was five years old. He could only "read" pictures
  and write in his own special way. Now he is seven years old. He knows how to
  read and write simple words like: WIND, SEA, FREEDOM,LOVE,GRAND-MUM, HOORSE. I
  don't try to instruct him too much because I don't want to influence him. Only
  every now and then I ask for a piece of work from him, e.g. a drawing or a
  text, or I ask for his opinion on my work.

  Two years ago I talked to my friend Pierre Bongiovanni director of CICV
  (pierre@cicv.fr)about the Helicomaison. Pierre liked the idea very much and
  the staf of CICV  (www.cicv.fr) and they decided to include it in their
  productions. www.cicv.fr/creation_artistique/projets/santorineos_manthos.html

  Hence, starting on March 13, 2000, the Helicomaison will begin its journey.
  Its first stop will be in the tower of CICV, where the first parts of the
  project will be produced. The Helicomaison will continue to travel in both
  real and virtual spaces and take many forms, in collaboration with
  organizations and artists.

  If you wish to follow the Helicomaison around on its journey or just learn
  more about it, contact msantorineos@yahoo.co.uk

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 1 9 |
                                                                         - - - -

                         announcing the online debut of:

        The African / American Heritage Museum & Black Veterans Archives
                        has been in existence since 1986.
                   Its Founder & builder is Dr. Charles Smith.
    The facility is located in the Township of the city of Aurora, Illinois,
                       35 miles west of Chicago, Illinois.

                 photo gallery   |   information    |     links

            http://net22.com/dreamtime/grotto/charlessmith/index.html
         site created & maintained by Awkword Ubutronics  2000 & Beyond

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 0 |
                                                                         - - - -

NERVE THEORY:  "Shades of Catatonia"

Bernhard Loibner and Tom Sherman perform live in Syracuse, Troy, and
New York, New York...

March 25th         Syracuse University, School of Art and Design,
Saturday 3pm       workshop/performance, Shemin Auditorium,
                   Shaffer Art Building, Syracuse, New York,
                   for information contact: 315-443-1033

March 29th         Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Dept. of the Arts,
Wednesday 8pm      School of Architecture, Green Gallery, Troy, New York,
                   contact: 518-276-4829

April 1st          Void (in Soho), 16 Mercer Street (at Howard Street),
Saturday 8-10pm    New York, New York, contact: 212-941-6492

---

Nerve Theory's "Shades of Catatonia" is a scorching critique of today's
24X7 commercial culture, the culture of utility and convenience where
audiences are manipulated and assaulted by a tidal wave of psychological
warfare waged by advertisers, broadcasters, studios, telecoms, governments
and schools.  Nerve Theory reveals the trauma and in its unique 'news
music' offers strategies for recovering minds incapacitated by command
automatism.

Loibner and Sherman have been dealing with the psychology of alienated,
dislocated individuals in their collaborative voice/music works since
1993.  Bernhard Loibner is a composer, musician and sound freak based in
Vienna, Austria.  Tom Sherman, based in Syracuse, NY, where he teaches
media production and theory courses at Syracuse University, specializes in
improvisational monologues for radio and live performance.  Loibner and
Sherman formed Nerve Theory in 1998.

For further information on Nerve Theory, Loibner and Sherman,
check out:  http://www.allquiet.org/

The on-line version of Bernhard Loibner's latest CD, "Theory Music"
is available at:  http://www.allquiet.org/theorymusic/

---

Thanks to the Austria Cultural Institute, New York, for its support of
these performances.

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 1 |
                                                                         - - - -

(advance apologies for cross-posting)

CHATTERBOX
a series of moderated discussions about new media

On ISEA-Forum - a listserv open to both members and non-members

Chatterbox 3.0:  Virtual/Physical Bodies - body, dance, technology Beginning
Wednesday March 15th 2000

Guest moderator: Ghislaine Boddington, shinkansen (sound and movement research)
and ResCen Middlesex University London

With inputs from Richard Povall and Thecla Schiphorst

Plus visions of the future from other professionals working with dance and
technology. Initial 'visions' will be included in the first few days from
Johannes Birringer (AlienNation Co, Ohio), Jospehine Leake (writer and performer
London), Sophie Lycouris (choreographer London) and Cosmin Manulescu
(choreographer and  producer, Bucarest).

You are invited to participate in these discussions!

If you are not already subscribed to ISEA Forum, send an email message to
lisproc@uqam.ca, leaving the subject field blank. In the body of the message,
write: subscribe ISEA-Forum <first name last name>

Archives of previous editions of ChatterBox can be found on the ISEA website:
http://www.isea.qc.ca/chatter/chatter.htm

ISEA NEWSLETTER #76 (February-March 2000)
now available online

http://www.isea.qc.ca/

EDITORIAL:
ISEA Archives and 10th Anniversary Project

ISEA NEWS:
ISEA2000 Call for Papers and Participation
Leonardo Under Attack

FEATURE ARTICLES:
Video and Survival: A Balkan Update by Nina Czegledy

EVENT REVIEWS:
Resistant Media: NxT Northern Territory Exposure Multimedia Symposium (Australia)

3e Etats generaux de l'ecriture interactive (France)

ISEA Members receive the newsletter one month earlier with the added benefit of
a large section of calls for projects, papers, jobs and other opportunities in
the electronic arts. To find out how to become a member or to get more
information on other ISEA member benefits, please see
http://www.isea.qc.ca/members/minfo.html

To submit an article or event review to the newsletter, or propose a ChatterBox
edition, please contact ISEA HQ: isea@isea.qc.ca

ISEA/The Inter-Society for the Electronic Arts
Complexe Ex-Centris, 3530 boul. St-Laurent, #305,
Montréal, Québec, H2X 2V1 CANADA
Tel: +1.514.847.8912 * Fax: +1.514.847.8834
email: isea@isea.qc.ca * http://www.isea.qc.ca

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 2 |
                                                                         - - - -

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to announce you our colloquium "Which Public Administration in
the Information Society?", Bussels, May 18-19 , 2000.
This event is organised by the LENTIC (University of Liège), in
collaboration with the federal Ministry of Civil Service.
It is composed of 10 thematic workshops, 2 plenary presentations (by Michel
AUDET, CEFRIO, University Laval, Canada, and by K.V.Andersen, Copenhagen
Business School), and a round table with actors of the European politic
sphere.
The public is both academic and field actors.
A simultaneous translation is provided in French, English and Dutch.

For any information, please visit our website :
http://www.egss.ulg.ac.be/lentic/, or feel free to contact me by e-mail or
by fax (+32 4 366 29 47)

Best regards,

G.Rondeaux
Coordinator

Assistant in HRM at the Business Administration School and researcher at
the LENTIC

University of Liège
Faculty of Economy, Management
and Social Sciences             Tel:   +32 4 366 30 70
Bd. du Rectorat, 19 / B51                Fax: +32 4 366 29 47
4000 Liège Sart Tilman           E-Mail: G.Rondeaux@ulg.ac.be
BELGIUM

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 3 |
                                                                         - - - -

ARTMargins
Contemporary East-Central European Culture
http://www.artmargins.com

NEW...

NEW SERIES: "SITES"
ARTMargins visits East-Central European art centers...Agnes Kovacs on Budapest

FEATURES//
-Svetlana Boym (Cambridge) on Ilya Kabakov's Documenta-Toilet
-Sylvia Sasse (Berlin) on the uneasy relationship between art, justice, and
the media in Moscow
-Piotr Tiotrowski (Warsaw) on gender issues in East-Central European
performance
-Martina Pachmanova (Prague/New York) on recent Czech art by women

INTERVIEW//
-Interview with Katarina Rusnakova, the newly appointed director of the
Czech National Gallery at -Veletrizni Palac

REVIEW//
-Stephan Kuepper on Russian Cultural Studies
-Martha Kuhlmann on director Jiri Menzel's work

ARTISTVIEW//
-ARTMargins presents AFRIKA's works on copper
-Haralampi Oroschakoff: "Strangers on the Edge of the World"

Forthcoming...
-Anna Szemere on Underground Rock and Theory in Hungary
-Interview with Andrey Monastyrsky
-Romanian performance art of the last two decades
-"Triumviratus": Avant-garde theater in Sofia.
WRITE TO US: info@artmargins.com
Please recommen ARTMargins to a friend

dr. sven spieker
dept. of germanic, slavic and semitic studies&
        dept. of history of art and architecture
university of california, santa barbara
santa barbara, ca 93106
voice mail ++ 805-893.76.26
fax ++ 805.893.23.74
http://humanitas.ucsb.edu/~spieker/

                                                                         - - - -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | 2 4 |
                                                                         - - - -

Live TV on the net
http://www.piratetv.net                              info@piratetv.net

Born out of the excitement of Coldcut's early pirate radio days on the
orginal Kiss FM,frustration with the dumbing down of legal stations and
the straitjacket of commercial television, piratetv.net started netcasting
in Jan 1999.
The duo known as CLINTON (Tjinder Singh and Benedict Ayres from
Cornershop) will be guests on COLDCUT'S Pirate TV live webcast on
Wed 22nd March 11pm - 1am (GMT)
The piratetv.net page also has a link to a Live Chat room so viewers
can chat with the DJs and jammers. Piratetv.net is the phuture: DIY
psychedelic political interactive streaming zentertainment with quality
content from top selectors.
You will need Realplayer to tune in but this is available free from the
site.
Sun 6pm-6am Do-Littles Chill-Out
Tues 11pm Sound of Outerbongolia
Wed 9pm Coldcut audiovisualjam from Spacelab
Thurs 9pm Dubwiser from the house of Dread
Fri 10pm Freeframe(1st in month)Digital Disco(last in month)
Coming Soon
Mon......Undercurrents...alternative news
Fri..2nd and 3rd in the month....Digidub Show
Special Events Thurs 23rd March....Digital Disco present
LAURENT GARNIER live in the mix from the Junction 7pm-2am