nettime's_ticket_collector on Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:57:55 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> austrian tram-rider digest [hagenbach, recktenwald]

andreas hagenbach <aah@thing.ch>
     Re: "I will determine who is pure, respectable and upstanding" - Haider
Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
     "Wiener Brut"

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:40:49 +0100
From: andreas hagenbach <aah@thing.ch>
Subject: Re: <nettime> "I will determine who is pure, respectable and
 upstanding" - Haider

>> mother tongue, not some dark-skinned foreign guys.  And especially not
>> "bushmen" (literally bushniggers,  A.) as Haider likes to call them: "Where
>> will we be when any bushmen will have a chance to provide medical treatment
>> to our fellow Austrians?" (Haider speaking about a new medical law, Der
>> Standard, October 13, 1998).  Despite the fact that Haider attended summer
>> school at Harvard during in the last couple of years, he doesn't seem to
>> get that such enunciations violate human rights codes. Helen Partil-Pable
>
>No, it doesnt "violate" anything, its free speach !!
>
>As long as he doesnt practice what he is talking, and I dont know where
>such an "violation" would start.

Nowadays it is more common in Vienna to address non-austrians in words
like these: soon we are going to send you back! When you are already living
there several years, it is more than hearting. Lot of these people came to
Austria not to eat Sachtertorte, but live a life in reasonable conditions. But
suddenly your fellows start to tell you that your time is over, and this openly
in the bus! They wouldn't have dared to tell you before Haider was en vogue,
and there lies also the implicit danger of such people: they encourage others
to commit low scale crimes, which are the spearhead of real and heavy actions
aganist any non-austrian looking person.

andreas hagenbach