Miklos Legrady on Tue, 22 Feb 2000 01:30:13 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Leonardo Cultural Resistance

Note, all news on this item will be found on the rhizome raw list among others.
if interested, you can subscribe at
www.rhizome/org

The Leonardo Network, hosted at mit.edu, was started in the 1960's
and is now being sued by a new finance organization who wants to copyright
the name.

Leonardo Network was originally founded in the
mid-1960s by Frank Malina, an eminent astronautical pioneer
and kinetic artist. Members and founders of the network have
included Jacob Bronowski, R. Buckminster Fuller, C.P Snow,
C.H Waddington, Frank Oppenheimer, John Cage. Current
members include Roy Ascott, Richard Gregory, Lynn
 Hershman, Annick Bureaud. The network was founded by an
earlier generation interested in the use of new media and the
sciences in the arts.

You can read about the lawsuit at this url

http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/isast/pres1220.html

I received the following email from Mr. Malina, son of the founder of Leonardo;