RTMark admin on Sat, 12 Feb 2000 18:50:42 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> RE: FW: How about this

You have a "sense" about our "openness," and this is of course not a court
of law ("Your Honor, my opponent is being polemical, and I have a sense"
wouldn't fly), so you have the right to remain silent and not answer our
questions. But needing answers, we have interpreted your response to mean
the below; to show whether you agree or disagree, you may simply nod yes
or no:

----

We are not terrible people, we Autodesk folk. We have wives or husbands or
even same-sex partners, we have kids, some have pets, some of us own our
own homes and want to own bigger homes, we all own a car or two we have to
make payments on. We're just your basic American folk, white or black or
otherwise colored, living in the U.S.A. and doing what we believe to be
right by God and country and wife/husband/lover.

Now in order to feed that wife/husband/lover, and the kids, and make all
those payments, we have to make money. So do Autodesk shareholders.
Autodesk is a machine to make money for its shareholders, and there's a
whole lot of money involved, and fortunately for our pocketbooks, we've
been hired by Autodesk to help them out with this mighty big task. It's a
win-win situation for us and the Autodesk shareholders.

Now we--here I'm talking as Autodesk, not as me and my friends--have some
trademarks. They're very important to us, because they're important to our
shareholders. If they gets "diluted," we lose money, that's the thinking,
and so our stockholders get very angry. That's when we--me and my
friends--get kinda nervous.

So when we hear about something that has a name sort of like one of our
trademarks, we jump. No matter what it is. We send a letter. We demand
things, in a legal kind of way, so it sounds like it's legal. Big things.
Not because we're vicious, heartless, ruthless bastards, but because we
need to feed the kids and the w./h./l. and so we need to protect the damn
trademarks.

Sometimes we demand a lot more than we think we could get if it got
*really* legal and made it to court. We do this because there's a kind of
bargaining that happens in court, where your demands and your opponent's
demands are sort of evened out. Also, most "little people" who get these
letters just really freak out and lose it and maybe start to go crazy, and
then they buckle and just give us exactly what we're asking for right
away. That's because it's super, super, super expensive to actually fight
things all the way through a court case, and everyone knows that, and
hardly anyone's willing to risk their life's savings and more--even for
years of hard work or whatever it is we're trying to take. (etoy was
eventually paid the $40,000 it cost to defend their domain against eToys,
but who can front that kind of money? So that's the second reason we
threaten as if we were bastards: it's a kind of feint, a fake punch, a
jousting little SLAPP.)

So listen, you big ornery not-open terrorists: we're just following the
law, just doing as much as the good people of the U.S.A., human and
corporate, have said we're allowed to, while we do what we have to, which
is making a buck to feed the husband/wife/lover and pay off the car and
the house and the kids' education. What's wrong with that?

-------

Is that right, Mr. Konopken? All you have to do is nod or shake your head.
Then we will answer that last question there. (Oh, and please specify
which head is being shaken/nodded, so we know who our audience is.)

http://rtmark.com/autodesk.html
Bringing IT to YOU.