nettime's_digestive_system on Sun, 6 Feb 2000 13:16:15 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> The Austrian Question [more]

PARTNER GEGEN BERLIN <partner.gegen.berlin@rolux.org>
        sonntag: berlin begruesst haider

itch <cs@t0.or.at>
        viennaise news sun 6 feb 00

Mihajlo Acimovic <skladiste4@angelfire.com>
        Vienna escalation

Terrence J Kosick <kosick@sprint.ca>
        Re: FLUXLIST: Austria

valery grancher <vgranger@imaginet.fr>
        dear Austria

Rinaldo Rasa <rinaldo@gpnet.it>
        against fascism

        berlin begruesst haider

        sonntag, 6. februar 2000 ab 13 uhr
        hotel intercontinental berlin
        budapester str. 2 (tiergarten)
        [U]+[S] zoologischer garten

        Jörg Haider kommt...

        wie angekündigt am Sonntag nach Berlin - aber früher als
        erwartet. Die "Talk im Turm"-Sendung wird zwar wie immer um
        21.30 Uhr ausgestrahlt, die Aufzeichnung findet jedoch bereits
        um 14.00 Uhr im Hotel Intercontinental in der Budapester Straße
        statt. Wir haben deshalb eine Protestkundgebung für 13 Uhr von
        dem Hotel Intercontinental angemeldet. Den Herren Michael Glos
        (CSU), Freimut Duve (SPD), Ralph Giordano (anti-totalitär) und
        Erich Böhme wollen wir Bescheid sagen, daß wir mit einem braunen
        Österreicher genauso wenig diskutieren wie mit seinen
        demokratischen Gesprächspartnern.

        Thomas Bernhard Fanclub @ Bündnis gegen IG Farben

viennaise news sun 6 feb 00
fm4 has been forced not to report on any demonstration-issues: this is
definitly censorship!!! +++ a journalist of the oberoesterreichische
nachrichten has been fired recently becourse of *the current political
situation* (official statement): was he had done was to write 3
haider-critical articles +++ todays demonstration was described in the orf
as *1500 people* demonstrating, in fact there had been several times more
(around 8000-10000 i'd guess). this demonstration was 100% peaceful
although orf only outlined that a huge number of policemen had to be on the
streets +++ max koch (sos-mitmensch) is an ASSHOLE since he described the
demonstrants as some crazy people, draw back his support for todays
(peacful) demonstration and said that the police would have to demonstrate
power. has he now become the speaker of the police??! +++ the (for
international standards) minor riots yesterday had been provoked by
policeforces: several (especially small) goups of mainly young people (i
mean 16year old girls and boys), no matter if they were acting passivly or
not, had been attacked brutally. details will follow soon!

 ...\betazine found.

http://betazine.org
semi-automatic webzine.
-----------------------   -     -       -         -           -             -

<!--   -------------------   -     -       -         -           -            -
don't forget to say hello to echelon: abhoermethoden, bombe, cia,
datenklau, freak, grundrecht, hacking, iridium, joint, kapitalismuskritik,
kommunismus, kontaktfrau, kontaktmann, kontakt schliessen, lauschangriff,
nur in den mund genommen, oecalan, pgp, querulant, rasterfahndung,
revolution, sprengung, stoersender, strategie, staatsstreich,
treffpunkt,tristero, unterwandern, urheberrechtsverletzung, volksfest,
waffendepot, wanze, xenophob, yuan, zukunft
tristero, urheberrechtsverletzung, volksfest, wanze, xenophob, yuan, zukunft
-----------------------   -     -       -         -           -             -->

Police attacked demonstrators with water cannons, night sticks, tear gas. State
TV showed them attacking a group of around 100 peaceful demonstrators, many of
whom were sitting on the street. Pictures included water cannons shooting
without provocation (in February, winter) and policemen kicking and walking over
people on the ground, also without provocation. FPOe general secretary called
the demonstrators terrorists, on state TV this evening.

Terrence writes;

Who are Haidlers real masters?

Sorry but I am not totally up on what the new policies are in the newly formed
Austrian government. And why they are so appealing that they have allowed them
into government?  Are they very offensive to the EU? Can someone please direct
me and others to such information.  I don't like to rely on newspapers. They
work mostly to sell exciting stories.

Boycott is mostly a economic reaction by the power of governments.  Economic
sanctions may affect profits but worse it affects innocent people.  Creative and
informative cultural communication are something that should be encouraged not
boycotted.  It was, after all, the intellectuals who protested against Haidler
being elected.  I think we should talk to the writers artists and people of
Austria to first find out why he was elected.  Why shut them out and cut them
off? A blowing wind only makes the coat tighter.  Shed a little sunlight on the
problem might make people open up their hearts and shed the shell of defensive
and ridged politics. Fearful reactions only lead to more intolerance and more
fear.  It would be better to subvert and ridicule and hopefully curtail the
right-wing activities before they get to do any real harm.

Aggression and fear is foolish emotional reactions.   Diplomacy has been
superseded by power and careerism in politics, but that is nothing new. At to
racists thugs; Nazis are fearful and reactionary. If their reactions is to beat
up on foreigners because they 'biologically encroach on their territory' then
they are no different then dogs. You don't hit dogs if you want to train them.
Politicians must be made to serve the people.  If not like diplomats then at
least like good dogs.  If Haidler is a really a thug or a dog of war or a dog of
arrogant nationalism and aggressive economic powers then it bespeaks the will of
his masters.  Who are they you might ask?

Please post links to the writers, critics and pundits of Austrian politics.

terrence kosick
artnatural

Marc Schulz und Christina Ohlhus wrote:

> i think that the total boykott is a very stupid thing. but it seems like that
> it becomes more and more a tactic of the western politics to boykott
> everything and everyone who or which is not on their way to their capitalistic
> global structure. the fact that a total boykott doesn't help in any sense is a
> fact.

> maybe it's for non-europeans difficult to understand, but also here in germany
> we have more and more problems with those right-winged people (especially in
> east germany). if you are more into, it's very interesting to see that the
> right-winged parties are most popular near at the borders of other countries
> like poland, france, czech republic or denmark. it seems that most of the
> people are not open-minded to enjoy a global world without frontiers and
> borders. it makes fears - so the reaction of a group or an individual person
> is to fight against this.

> my idea is not to make such strong reactions like a total boykott of  austria.
> first a deeper understanding of the facts, then a reaction. please be more
> open-minded to support those people who didn't vote haider & schuessel!

Hello,

    Regarding Austrain context, we should  invite everybody to do not
exhibit in Austria, on the other hand we should all of us  open our
space to austrian artist who want  to protest against their new
government.
    That's why I will open mine to every austrian artist who want to
make a specific project against this governement.
When the first URL to a  piece will arrive a page will open at:
http://www.nomemory.org/dearaustria

the pieces will be not hosted on my server, but I will put a link  to
your page. It will be an art portal against austrian nazism !

the project is called "Dear Austria"

send your URL to this email box:
vgranger@imaginet.fr

I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible

Valery Grancher
vgranger@imaginet.fr
http://www.nomemoy.org

AGAINST FASCISM!
              AGAINST FASCISM!
                            AGAINST FASCISM!

                  tears
                      on
                        stairs
                             unknown
                                   men
                                     &
                                     young
                                         girls
                                             awoke
                                                 dead

AGAINST FASCISM!
              AGAINST FASCISM!
                            AGAINST FASCISM!

(this poema written by rinaldo rasa on saturday 5 feb, 2000
in memory to young people in the 30's in italy & today)