depesche on Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:24:52 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Recent Situation of the Action Against the Wiretap Law in Japan

(d/depesche  00.01.26/1)

1. The joint statement action for repeal of the Wiretap Law in Japan
is now in progress. The number of joining organizations of the
Statement is 199 as of Jan 10. The groups include not only human
rights and civil liberty groups in the Internet, but also the groups for
consumers union, anti nucle ar power plant groups, women's rights
groups and other very various groups or organizations.

Next dead line for signature is the end of this month. The
statement for signature is as follows but only written in Japanese.

http://www.jca.apc.org/nishoren/campaigns/tochouhou/seimei5.html

2. The petition action for repeal of the Wiretap Law started on the
last Nov.26 and now in progress. Above groups including NaST will
make a petition to the Diet for repeal the Wiretap Law. This action
needs huge number of signature on the individuals. We will file the
petition with the Diet next Feb.23. This is the first action. Petition
action will be continued more.The URL is as follows by PDF

http://www.jca.apc.org/nishoren/campaigns/tochouhou/shomei.html

3. The meeting for repeal of the Wiretap Law will be held at the
discussion room in the Congress-persons' Hall as follows; date:
Jan. 26, Monday, 13:00-15:00 place: Congress-persons' Hall
contents: Video show. The "Pitch the Wiretap Law into Trash-can!"
Lecture "DVD-RAM devise is illegal" by Toshimaru Ogura (NaST)
Discussion for action against the Wiretap Law

4. Action on the street for gathering signatures of the petition date
Jan.29 13:00 place Yurakuchou Marion, Tokyo

5. Next actions We try to appeal to major trade unions to join our
actions. Also we try to appeal to several opposition parties in the
Diet for submitting the repeal bill of the Wiretap Law.

for more information, please
mail to priv-ec@jca.apc.org URL (in Japanese) is
Http://www.jca.apc.org/privacy/ Networkers against Surveillance
Taskforce (NaST), Japan