K.Patelis on Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:17:19 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> AOL loves TIMEWARNER

AOL and Time Warner

You have all probably heard the alarming news, THEY are merging. I find
this news so depressing, it is as if all my political economy nightmares
are coming true and the worst part is that all I can do is write and talk
some more about them. I am writing this letter as a call, a call to
anybody that is furious and depressed about this merger to propose some
kind of collective statement that condemns it. Warnings of conglomarate
expansion and the on-line world where treated with skeptisism, critiques
said that the Internet will survive the horrible tentacles of capitalism.
The opposite is obviously the case. It is important that some kind of
collective criticism against the growing patterns of converging
conglomeration is voiced. I do not know maybe I am exaddurating but if
there is anybody that can either show me the way to not cry when things
like this happen or thinks something can be done I would be obliged if
they contacted me.  As for the personal tone of this e-mail which lacks
academic tone and substance I do not have to apologise for this merger is
not an academic matter it is a symbol of power with real consequences in
our lives.

Thanks

Korinna Patelis

Korinna Patelis