Carl Guderian on Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:13:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Fwdfyi: Stories from the Urdu Press in New York]

Very interesting. Just a minor quibble, though. General Zia ul-Haq was
most likely killed by the USSR, for allowing CIA Stinger missiles to be
smuggled into Afghanistan. Stingers nullified Soviet air superiority and
moved the war to the ground, to the locals' advantage. The US Ambassador
also died in the plane crash, which as in 1988. The Geneva Peace Accords
had been signed earlier in the year, between the US and USSr. Pakistan
represented the Afghan rebels. The USSR withdrew from Afghanistan in
1989.

Carl

Patrice Riemens wrote:

> >From theSarai Reader List. Long but worthwhile (immo).
>
> ----- Forwarded message from rehan ansari <rehanhasanansari@yahoo.com> -----
>
> To: reader-list@sarai.net
> Subject: [Reader-list] The Urdu Press in New York
> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:03:08 -0800 (PST)
>
> Dear friends,
>
> Since September 11th, 2001 I have been reading the
> Urdu press in the New York area (would you believe
> that there are seven weeklies!), pitch stories and
> translate them for Voices That Must Be Heard, a web
> publication of the Independent Press Association.
> (www.indypressny.org). Independent Press Association
> is interested in issues of social justice in the
> ethnic press on New York. Below are some of the
> stories. I think you would be surprised by what is
> carried in the Urdu press.
.
.
.

> General Mohammad Zia-ul-Haq supported the American
> sponsored war in Afghanistan against the Russians.
> That was when Osama and the Taliban were designated
> freedom fighters by the U.S. government. When the
> Soviet Union withdrew, the Geneva Accords were signed,
> and General Zia seemed to be pursuing an independent
> policy in the region, he was assassinated.

.
.
.

--
I always cry at chemical weddings - Rose E. Cross