Ivo Skoric on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:12:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] ?

Could my green card application have ended up shredded(!) like
this? This is fantastic. It really makes me want to puke...
ivo

*4. GRAND JURY CHARGES SHREDDERS

On Jan. 30, a federal grand jury in Santa Ana, California,
charged Dawn Randall and Leonel Salazar with conspiracy and five
counts of willfully destroying documents at the INS California
Service Center in Laguna Niguel. Randall worked for Datatrac
Information Services; Salazar worked for SEI Technology. The two
private companies were subcontracted to file applications for
permanent residency, citizenship and other benefits. Both
companies still provide workers for the INS, but the agency no
longer allows them to shred any documents, said INS
spokesperson
Lori Haley.

The indictment says that Randall, then assistant manager of the
file room, ordered the shredding a year ago to deal with a
backlog of 90,000 unprocessed documents. The INS began
investigating in April after file-room clerks were found
shredding unprocessed documents after business hours [see INB
5/17/02]. [Orange County Register 1/31/03]

Ivo Skoric
19 Baxter Street
Rutland VT 05701
802.775.7257