J Armitage on Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:43:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Paul Virilio's Art and Fear

Hi nettimers,  I am really pleased to pass on the news that Paul Virilio's
_Art &
Fear_ (_La procedure silence_), translated by Julie Rose, has just been
published in English by the Continuum Publishing Group, London.
www.continuumbooks.com
I am especially pleased because I have written the introduction to the book.
The contents page, some blurb about the book and the ISBN are below.
I would be grateful if people would circulate this flyer around appropriate
e-lists.
Best wishes
John.
===========================
PAUL VIRILIO
_ART and FEAR_
Contents
Translator's preface ... vii
_Art and Fear: an introduction_ ... 1
John Armitage
_A Pitiless Art_ ... 25
Paul Virilio
_Silence on Trial_ ... 67
Paul Virilio
Notes ... 97
Bibliography ... 105
Index ... 109
======================
PAUL VIRILIO'S ART & FEAR
traces the twin development of art and science over the 20th Century, a
development that emerges as a nightmare dance of death. In Virilio's vision,
art and science vie with each other for the destruction of the human form as
we know it. At the start of the 21st century science has finally left art
behind as genetic engineers prepare to turn themselves into the worst of
expressionists, the Human Genome Project their godless manifesto, the human
being, the raw material for new and monstrous forms of life. Virilio makes
all the connections clear: between the way early 20th Century avant-gardes
twisted and tortured the human form before making it vanish in abstraction
and the blasting to bits of men who were no more than cannon fodder in the
trenches of the Great War; between the German Expressionists' hate-filled
portraits of the damned and the "medical" experiments of the Nazi
eugenicists; between the mangled messages of sensationalist advertising and
terrorism. A brutal logic rules this shattering of representation: our ways
of seeing are now fatally shaped by unprecedented "scientific" modes of
destruction.
ISBN: 0-8264-6080-1