Ivo Skoric on Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:04:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] a philosophical question

I am confounded with the part of American human rights activist
left, that lended its support to the Democrat Clinton for bombing of
Yugoslavia, under the pretense of the humanitarian intervention,
and that withholds the same support from the Republican Bush for
bombing of Iraq, under the pretense of weapons of mass
destruction removal.

I do not argue that either Milosevic should not have been bombed
or that Saddam should be bombed. I am just asking why was
Clinton given permission on merits, and Bush is not? Was Clinton's
reason more valuable? Was Clinton more persuasive?

Because, if we look at both Yugoslavia and Iraq in strictly
humanitarian terms, Saddam is no different from Milosevic in his
propensity for disregard of human rights. I mean, he gassed Kurds.
Milosevic never threw mustard gas on Kosovo, did he? Saddam's
military, aided by American help just like Yugoslav was once,
attacked Iran. Later it attacked Kuwait. Behavior of Iraqi soldiers in
Kuwait was comparable to behavior of Serb soldiers in Bosnia, if
not worse. He kills his political opponents, just as Milosevic did,
only Saddam tortures them beforehand for his pleasure.

And, yes, of course, hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis died
due to the first gulf war, subsequent tens years of bombing and
crippling sanctions. As one may argue that on humanitarian
grounds Saddam at least deserve the same fate as Milosevic, one
may also argue that no bombing campaign can ever be dubbed
humane. Which conclusion, then, must be applied to bombing of
Yugoslavia, as well. It is the only honest way.

Because, as Michael Moore, aptly noted in his recent release
'Bowling for Columbine' - on the same day two teenagers with
automatic weapons unleashed their anger on Columbine High
School, NATO dropped the biggest payload of bombs in its 78
days bombing campaign against Milosevic regime, accidentally
hitting a high school, leaving more dead than the Columbine
massacre did.

ivo
Ivo Skoric
19 Baxter Street