Ana Viseu on Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:43:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] ubiquitous computing environments (was: <nettime> FromTactical Media to Digital Multitudes)

[At a time when Nettimers are engaged in a discussion regarding the
connections between physical and digital worlds, here goes an article (from
PCWorld) with a commercial vision for one possible way of interweaving both
worlds. It is far from the activist 'vision' that Geert and Florian
propose, but it is one that is rather pervasive within tech development
circles, and thus one that we should keep attention to. It has been
emphasized by a recent speech by Bill Gates at Comdex, where he announced
that Microsoft will start developing "smart personal objects" and thus
moving from an emphasis on 'personal computers' to one on 'personal
computing' where the digitality is hidden. (see for instance
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2487787.stm> and
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/18/technology/18GATE.html>. All the best.
Ana Viseu]

Future Gear: Tiny Chips, Everywhere

With petite sensors and radio transmitters, every object can have an
identity and even think for itself.

"Objects are going to be increasingly given budgets and responsibility, so
they can make their own decisions," says Paul Mackinaw of
AccentureTechnology Labs. I recently visited Accenture to check out
prototypes of new products and to meet Mackinaw, who has the dream job of
imagining new worlds enabled by technology, then trying to build them.

Accenture's vision of the future is called Reality Online. It presumes that
people, products, and even clumps of dirt can have digital identities that
share information over networks and use this information to make decisions.
Among the many applications Accenture imagines are store shelves that know
when they are out of an item and order more, crates that can tell the
receiver if they've been dropped during shipment, and dirt that can sense
if crops are getting too dry and turn on sprinklers.

For Everything, a Chip

Critical to the development of Accenture's omniscient new world is the
profusion of very tiny, very inexpensive computer chips. Even today, a chip
smaller than the size of a match head can hold a unique identifying number
and a tiny radio transmitter. Anyone who uses an electronic security badge
or card is carrying such a device. When you wave your card by the reader, a
radio signal energizes the chip, allowing it to transmit a unique ID number
back to the reader. If your number is in a database of people allowed to
enter, the door is unlocked.

Small enough to fit in a credit card, the chips are extremely cheap: They
cost about 17 cents apiece. Accenture envisions putting them on everything
from car parts to shampoo bottles. And the tags wouldn't have to hold much
data. The Auto-ID Center, based at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, is proposing a 96-bit key as sufficient to develop enough
unique identifiers for all the products on the planet. (By comparison, a
56-bit key could identify every grain of rice on earth, according to
Accenture's Mackinaw.)

With the transmitter chips in place, a company could track each product as
it moves through a factory. Shippers would know what items--and how many of
them--are in every crate or container, and stores would know if they are
receiving what they've ordered. When customers hit the checkout counter,
they could simply pass their cart by a radio receiver that would register
every item and tally the bill.

That's certainly neat, but other applications are downright creepy. In
Accenture's world, the tags stay on after you buy a product. If you are
strutting down the street in your fancy new shoes, for example, a passerby
with a radio receiver-equipped PDA could find out the brand. You could no
longer pass off your cheap loafers as Prada. (Unless, perhaps, the vendor
also creates forged ID chips.)

Mackinaw demonstrated this with a table of tagged products--books, a tie,
and a scarf--and a Handspring Visor with a radio receiver. In his example,
the Visor checked an onboard database of just a few product ID numbers. But
in the future, he envisions the PDA linked wirelessly to databases
containing the universe of ID numbers. With sensors in place, Accenture
also imagines everyone turning into a salesperson. Got a new purse your
friend likes? Don't just tell her the brand. Make sure she scans your purse
so you get a commission from the retailer.

You might foil the system by yanking out the sensors. Accenture also
envisions a system that would allow you to specify that the IDs on your
shoes are confidential. But if we're already having trouble getting spam
filters to work, what are the chances of mastering access privileges to our
clothing?

What about embedding chips inside people? It's certainly possible, says
Mackinaw, but he sees their placement in plastic cards as more likely.

The Nth Sense

Putting an ID number on a chip is just the beginning. Researchers are
already building chips with sensors that can read conditions like
temperature, vibration, or moisture. In one of the simpler applications,
car brake pads might have sensors to warn you if they are getting thin.
They could even communicate with a Web-connected onboard computer that
schedules a trip to the mechanic.

How would your car find a convenient time for the appointment? If you set
up the service, the car's computer could access your online calendar. Just
like a brake pad or a bottle of shampoo, you, too, could be tracked online.

In much larger applications, thousands or millions of sensors strewn about
would automatically combine into networks. The University of California at
Berkeley has already shrunk these sensors down to about 12 cubic
millimeters, which is smaller than Lincoln's head on a penny. The sensors
could be commercially available in about two years. The ultimate goal is to
approximate a grain of sand, creating a type of sensor called Smart Dust.
Mackinaw says we may see such chips in about five years.

These minuscule sensors could be spread over a farm field to measure crop
conditions and order extra water or fertilizer if needed. They could even
be mixed in with paint to signal when it starts peeling. Too small to
contain batteries, they would draw power from heat or sunlight to produce a
signal just strong enough to reach the next chip. Together, the dust would
form a peer-to-peer network to aggregate data and pass it on to a receiver.

Reality Offline

In theory, all this can come to pass. We have the technology, or we will
shortly. In practice, we'll probably see some implementations of it.
Electronically tracking certain products--especially expensive items like
TVs or computers--makes sense. And large companies with sufficient budgets
to hire qualified technicians can make it possible. We already use lasers
to read UPC symbols, so why not add radio IDs that provide still more
detailed information?

But I wonder how big a role consumers would want to play. Although most
people would appreciate a dashboard warning before their brakes become
dangerous, would many of us agree to grant the brake pads access to our
online calendars? Would many people even bother to have an online calendar,
and keep it up to date?

And how likely are customers to use PDAs for tracking products that move
through the world? Most PDA users engage only its most basic functions, and
just synchronizing data is a challenge for some. Will those people see
radio receivers and subscriptions to product-tracking databases as killer
apps? And even if they do, will all the manufacturers and retailers agree
on an interlocking database network, delivered as a Web service, to track
billions, even trillions, of items? I suspect that, for the foreseeable
future, your Prada secret is safe.

http://www.pcworld.com/features/article/0,aid,106403,00.asp
Sean Captain
PCWorld.com
October 30, 2002

Tudo vale a pena se a alma não é pequena.
http://fcis.oise.utoronto.ca/~aviseu

http://privacy.openflows.org