George(s) Lessard on Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:22:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Bill Gates Foundation donation to India (2)

From:           	"Aviva" <aviva@netnam.vn>
To:             	"pha-exch" <pha-exchange@kabissa.org>
Subject:        	PHA-Exchange> Bill Gates Foundation
donation to India (2)
Date sent:      	Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:15:30 +0700

From: "Ted Greiner" <ted_greiner@hotmail.com>

I was at a meeting recently where a senior UNICEF staff member
warned that they and other UN agencies are now being starved of
cash because all the big money goes to private initiatives such as
the ones you mention. We must recognize that this is just one more
symptom of the process of neoliberal globalization rapidly
transforming the world as we all sit relatively helpless and watch.
Money and power are draining away from all forms of public activity,
even governments, into private control. Gates and a few other
individuals control more wealth than the Rockefellers and their like
ever dreamed of. Where is it all leading? Is there any way to avoid
a science fiction scenario in which our children live in a world
entirely under the control of a few huge corporations and the few
males who run them?

PS: Further evidence of the weakening of the UN, both financially
and in terms of its ability act independently on behalf of the poor is
the recent acceptance of Nestle into the UN Global Compact and
the recent announcement of a partnership between UNICEF and
McDonalds.

From: "Ted Greiner" <ted_greiner@hotmail.com>

---
---
[ *** Via / From / Thanks to and/or excerpted from the following :
ed.]
PHA-Exchange is hosted on Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
To post, write to: PHA-Exchange@kabissa.org

------- End of forwarded message ---------
  :-) Message ends, Signature begins (-:
  George Lessard, living @ 61.10N 94.05W
Comments should be sent to media@_no_spam_web.net
[Remove _no_spam_ from addresses to e-mail]
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly
find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot...
"If you think you are too small to make a difference,
try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito..." African Proverb
ICQ # 8501081
MediaMentor Weblog
http://www.eGroups.com/list/mediamentor
Homepages http://media002.tripod.com
Caveat Lector, Disclaimers & (c) info
http://members.tripod.com/~media002/disclaimer.htm

Semi-random signature quotes follow:
 Everything in excess!
 To enjoy the flavor of life, take BIG bites.
 Moderation is for monks.
 From the Note Books of Lazarus Long by: Robert A. Heinlein