dis.[UR]Locate on Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:32:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] _Net.wurk log:: Lewis Lacook [aka LL] + dis.[UR]Locate [akamez]_

_Net.wurking:: Lewis Lacook [aka LL] + dis.[UR]Locate [aka mez]_

_node1:_____________________________________________________
At 05:52 PM 8/11/2002 -0800, LL wrote:
>Would be ineterested quite alarmingly in responses to this question:
>
>Are "digital poetry" and net art two distinct genres? And, perhaps more
>importantly, should they be?

.setting. the.cat. a.m.ongst.the.pro.verb[d]ial[up].klee|stool.pidgins.
.re.routed.D-villes.ad[d]vokat.
.gen[de]r.e.vacuu[groo]med[bracket].packets.

..........||...............................||..............................................||
[+sense.auteurity.sniffling+]

}
.di.[f]lute.
+
.dye[d with a parsing spoon].late.
+
di.s[in]sect[of the bo.vine.theory.x.tract]ion
}

_node2:__________________________________________________________

[d.fine + d.volute::]

.core dumping + re.hash mode[m]
.re.sist.or dross + spewing.statics.in.polemic.placements.

[sick.making]

.

_node3_____________________________________________________________
At 02:50 PM 9/11/2002 -0800, LL wrote:
>don't misunderstand me too quickly!

.hoarse
.-[quarterer N]
.-drawn
.&
.print
.echo
.s.pin[e]al
.[s]t[r]apped............

>i don't want nor believe they SHOULD be distinct forms...BUT it all too
>often seems to me that they are...

.seams
.2
.me[me[

>there's a fundamental difference between, say, 'the dreamlife of letters'
>and jimpunk/bruno with their gogolchat....and all too often, looking at
>works that tout themselves as 'digital poetry,' i'm
>disappointed...disappointed because there's so much potential in the
>medium not being used...too often i see nothing more than text that
>moves...which is great, but no different than cinema, and not indicative
>of a new artform...or i see works that use rollovers as their only source
>of user-interaction, which, while justifying their presence on the machine
>and network, and introducing some reactivity to the work, is still pretty
>basic stuff (and with the tools used, require no writing or understanding
>of code)...

.these
.wurks
.r
.[k]not

:.
.d|[con]fined
.bi
.yr
.own
.d[efinition]box

.u[se]
.unda
.write
.with
.out
.C++.ing

>all of which is fine, really (some of these works are quite beautiful and
>intriguing)...but i hunger for more (as usual, being American, which is
>probably why we screw the world up so often)....

.&
.mis
.
.match[ing]

.my
.re:[4]ply
.weaves.
.the
.[s]sense
.of
.soft+hard.
.w.here.

.net.wurked
.in
.w.here[?].
.
.XXssed
.+
.broken.

>i want a new art form, a new form of digital poetry that's less cinematic...

.a.gain[st]
..
.yr.
.printL[b]o[x]a[n]d[N + yoke]
.grain

.u
.do.NT.

>why can't a digital poem do what gogolchat does, or what chris fahey's
>ada1852 does? is there work out there like that? where can i see it?
>because i desperately want to see it...

.dis.[UR]Locate
.
..
.ur-locate
.if
.u
.can.

_node4_____________________________________________________________

__________[Up.]Dated Sun.day, November 8th, 2002______________________

- re:placed the new.Nce re.C#.[Ever.crack[l]ing]ding! with a ripped
[double] blind.

- re:moved all references 2  L.[747]boeing yr way in2 the sense.less.

- d.bugged [not happy]jan.re:cauling & yr passi[e]ve][+a.dam][.printLoad.
wanderings

- s.witched ab.sor[e]ption modes 2 "Sau[fi]ssureStunNRun" or
"NeedANetWurkingSerialNumberQuickAnyHelpwillbeAppreciated"

- stripped disLocate modules + toggle mode is now operational un.duh these
sett[l]ings:
         1. my mind is codeDark & S[en.s][t][ory]D[eprivation]blank.
         2. i canKnot  re:align.
         3. u push my buttons + run[::end].
         4. i'll squ[ID]eal, i will!
         5. u stink of code piss.
         6. let me wind u down //[grindMode].
         7. s.wing_shifting my fluid way in2 yr organ_head.

_node5_____________________________________________________________
At 02:28 AM 10/11/2002 +0000, LL wrote:
 >are your texts using other texts?

they r not texts.
"texts" respawn yr own.

 > how is the network important to
 >these texts?

"texts" *r* not the net.work.
"t4e0x4ts" Not Found.
_net.wurks_ *r* the net.work.

_texts_ plug the gaps + _net.wurks_manifest as form from packet-driven
con.tent.

_form from_

_homogenesis substrata b.coming a.n][et][atomy_

think _code_ ][trans][forming ][2][ _application_.

text does not exist w.here.

_node6_____________________________________________________________
At 02:57 AM 10/11/2002 +0000, LL wrote:
 >if i'm not mistaken, mez here is proposing the works exist in a
 >certain communicative channel...they're a flow of data////like all
 >things really are////

_form from_

or even

_form form_

 >my question would be (and the answer to this would actually help me
 >distinguish between works): where does the data come from? where does
 >it flow to?

_net.wurks_ u.se[e] information.

<d.fine: information?>

_in form_

 >one can say (as in romanticism): well, the data comes from somewhere
 >up there: it flows into me, and then out:::::all of which is true////

up there: no
in2: no
out: no

[a trip.tick.ler of nos].
[think no.dic[k]|x.plosive, la[la laaaa li]terally.]

 >but the works i like best are those in which data comes from several
 >sources (not simply repsawning my own): data comes from you, and you,
 >and you, and you, and you=====and goes to you and you and you and
 >you////

u & u & u.

[ewes & use = cul.pa[lata]ble comprehension].

 >this is interesting to me because it's pointing to an epitemology of
 >net art (or at least an epistemology of mez's work, which interests
 >me greatly)////
 >
 >but i still don't understand why they're not texts? how would you
 >define a text, mez? and what is the distinction between that and what
 >you do?

i _net.wurk_.
[u text b.coz u r].
[i net.wurk b.coz i am
w.here.].

[u purr.[d]sist in b.ing .here.]

oppositional here|w.here.

_node7:_____________________________________________________
At 03:31 AM 10/11/2002 +0000, LL wrote:
 >texts use information in form as well////

[contiguous filtering + response patternings + reification of proto.co[a]ls]

 >so what are you doing that e.e. cummings hasn't already done?

[contiguous flittering + respose patternings + deification of proto.co[a]ls]

[net.wurking thru nets.co[de]pic[torials]s]
[nod.ule =nod.url =nod.jewel =nod.jules]
[add.end[w.here.?]um n.finite]

orality is.not textual
textual is.not netscopic

sandwritinginthesandissandwriting_in_the_sand_!!
[1+0 =???]

 >what privileges your texts as net wurks and mine (even when that text
 >isn't really mine at all?)as just texts?

passive lo[a]ne construction + advertisingly projective + isolated
mono[info]thrusting

--dizzy.[UR]Locate

_node8:_____________________________________________________
At 04:08 AM 10/11/2002 +0000, LL wrote:
 >MEZ:passive lo[a]ne construction + advertisingly projective +
 >isolated
 > > mono[info]thrusting
 >
 >LL:but in order to escape this you have to allow others to create
 >work for you...you have to open a gap in the work/////

re:[sup]plying [the goods]...........

 >the way i see it (yeah, i know, mi mi mi)===esp in your flash and
 >javascript works, where the opportunity lies quite baldly before you
 >to NOT do this) this is exactly what you're doing. you're not
 >allowing the user to reconstruct your texts. at best, you're allowing
 >them to experience them in different orders (that time thing
 >again)...in the poetry generators, i don't really construct the text
 >at all///i simply set up a space and a means for the user to work
 >in///in anningan it's a little more complicated, and not fully
 >fleshed yet////but the user still commicates with the piece...
 >
 >i'm not berating you, simply discussing this///you see what i do as
 >this, but i see what you're doing as the same thing///which is where
 >i don't understand how you see what you're doing as essentially
 >different, the trouble i'm running into understanding it///

[S]O[AP]rality is.not textual
text[d]ual[ity] is.not netscopic

dependencies vs x.clusions.........

"mi" MM @tempts r remnants.
 >well, yes, i produce a lot, and i don't use an avatar///neither does
 >eryk salvaggio, nor does jim andrews....is that the difference?
 >
 >please...explain...
 >bliss

p.lease...ab.sorb....
. ..
. . . . ..

A c][r][][ab-like][yst][al][ repeating. . .
. .
In disarray, a molten swathe of n.ter.face][s][ts
mimic simul.crated spaces.
In describing, yr structure is musty,
n.distinguishable from the
mas][ticated][s,
a graphic urn of
circuitry rust.

In b.tween][ning][, pat.turns of repetition
][like looped n.testinal lattice][
is in ][& of][ IT.s][h][ell.f
repeated
][the uni.f][r][ied cell][.

..
. ..
. . . . ..
. . .A most fungalmental repetition property. . .
. . . . .
. ..
. . . . ..
. ... .
.. .

This Cyb.age.nic Lattice in its
][& of IT.self][ ubersymmetry.

We n.itially shrink ourselves ][in][2 3 di][ce][mensions.
4 ][si][m.plicity, 3 types r coded:

.C.quential.
. .Replification.
. . .Helix.

.C.quential: U perceive & reproduce via regular successions. No gaps
allowed. No m.maginative rigor. U may ][& will][ b visualized like this. U
represent a sell][out][.F - the human unit of repeditive n.elasticity.
[4 e.e.g, u r 1 of the sell.Fs. if u look out, u c the same reflective
sell.Fs @ 0, 90, 180, & 270 d.grees because a c.quential repeats itself @
predicable ][culturally-d.][greed n.tervals.

. .Replification: U repeat consistently. U r not able 2 distinguish
successive patternings ][@ 0 and 180 cultural d.gree][d][s][. U find
replification easier than advancing. U m.ulate. U ][re][produce as if it
were progressive.

. . .Helix: U spiral and poll][inate][ute. U.re c.oiled c][ultural][entrics
reorder & re.route. U burn the sell.F. U.re c][h][ells can traverse the
vir][mens][t][r][ually & geocentrically g][l][athered.

. ..
. . . . ..
If the helix s.][c][el][l][ves were seen in ultradimensions, they would
completely fill the Cybagenic & Ge][c][o.d.fined Lattrix.
. ..
. . . . ..

_node9:_____________________________________________________
At 04:11 AM 10/11/2002 +0000, LL wrote:
 >r-p-o-p-h-e-s-s-a-g-r
 > who
 >a)s w(e loo)k
 >upnowgath
 > PPEGORHRASS
 > eringint(o-
 >aThe):l
 > eA
 > !p:
 >S a
 > (r
 >rIvInG .gRrEaPsPhOs)
 >rea(be)rran(com)gi(e)ngly
 >,grasshopper
 >

 >that would be e.e. cummings
 >

 >nets.co[de]pic[torials]s]
 >
 >that would be mez....

mean.ing..........?

_node10:_____________________________________________________
At 04:22 AM 10/11/2002 +0000, LL wrote:
 >cummings wrote text...

w.rote.

bi-rote.

by.nonrotational.

reproduction.as.press.
code.flavours.as.ignoramus.
code.poetry.reduced.2a.paper.tigah.scream.
--
lewis, doe.s:
orality = textual

if yes, how sew?

_node10:_____________________________________________________
At 04:24 AM 10/11/2002 +0000, LL wrote:
 >so explain (without resorting to pseudo artspeak and pseudo
 >mysticism) what's reductive about actually judging the work and not
 >the reputation of the maker?

thats not where yr reductionism lies.

pseudo artspeak = none.

do u c this w.here. as epigenetic?