Lachlan Brown on Tue, 12 Nov 2002 04:43:02 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] [Lachlan]Re: [NextGENDERation] Fwd: [students] Fwd: Fellowshipsfor threatened scholars

I am a scholar at risk. I have faced persecution,
repression, censorship, threats of violence and
censorship at the hands of senior Professors
in my research into the emergence of Intenret in
Culture 1994- 2002.

Lachlan Brown

> >Call for candidates
> >Fellowships for threatened scholars
> >
> >The Institute of International Education (IIE), Open Society
> >Institute, and the Scholars at Risk Network announce the autumn
> >application cycle for fellowships from IIE Scholar Rescue Fund,
> >supporting scholars who are threatened by violations of their
> >fundamental human rights including threats caused by
> >displacement, discrimination, censorship, harassment,
> >intimidation, or violence.
> >
> >The Scholar Rescue Fund provides partial fellowships to
> >universities and colleges willing to host temporary visits by
> >scholars threatened in their home country or region.
> >Universities and colleges in any country may serve as hosts.
> >Academics, researchers, and independent scholars from any
> >country, field or discipline may qualify for support.
> >Applications for support of female scholars and scholars who are
> >members of ethnic, racial, cultural or religious minority
> >groups, or those otherwise underrepresented in their field, are
> >strongly encouraged.
> >
> >Although the Fund invites applications from individual scholars,
> >it does not provide awards directly to individuals.  Fellowships
> >are awarded to host institutions for support of specific
> >individuals.  The final award amount will depend upon available
> >funds, needs of the scholar, costs of living, and duration of
> >the visit. The host institution or other source must contribute
> >additional support (generally in the form of a stipend, salary
> >or other direct funding for the candidate, although in-kind
> >contributions in the form of housing, airfare, maintenance, meal
> >programs, or tuition support will also be considered).  For this
> >reason, candidates are strongly encouraged--but not required--to
> >apply jointly with a university or college that has agreed to
> >host the visit and to provide the necessary matching funds.  The
> >Fund, through Scholars at Risk, will work to match suitable
> >candidates with institutions interested in hosting a scholar.
> >
> >For application procedure and deadlines, please see:
> ><http://scholarsatrisk.uchicago.edu/IIESRF.htm>
> >
> >Direct applications and inquiries to:
> >Robert Quinn, E-mail:  rquinn@uchicago.edu
> >Scholars at Risk Network
> >5828 South University Ave., Pick 124
> >Chicago, IL 60637, USA
> >Tel:  1-773-834-4408, Fax: 1-773-702-9286

Lachlan Brown
T(416) 826 6937
VM (416) 822 1123