Nmherman on Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:49:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: [thingist] desperate rear-guard action

In a message dated 7/28/2002 12:41:14 PM Central Daylight Time, blackhawk@thing.net writes:

Dear List,

Bobbi's losing it... big time.  re:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/21/arts/design/21SMIT.html?pagewanted=print&position=top

Thanks for backing me up BH, sometimes it seems I'm the only person with courage out here.  Not any more!

> Painting remains the expression of an exceedingly human need for mark
> making — a basic urge to communicate like speech, writing and song. If
> this weren't the case, the century would not have had so many
> self-taught painters, some of them
geniuses. Paintings can have the
> expressive density of written pages, and new ones are being made all
> the time that make exceptionally good reading.

This is complete & total rubbish.  Speech is "basic", artifice is
"basic", writing is not, singing is not (tho chanting may be), &
mark-making was a thing given to one in a hundred (even now, despite the
transient ubiquity of Photoshop & al) -- this since neolithic times; the
province of the shaman.  The rest of her argument is specious to the
point of teleological absurdity.

Yes, province of the shaman, priest, and anointed genius.  Notice how RS uses the word "geniuses" to invoke the sacred artist?  That is the reason I did gkk in the first original place--I knew it would come in quite handy.

& once again, elsewhere in the article, she demonstrates her
pathological inability to perceive work framed by the monitor.  Her
catch-all for everything which isn't painting seems to be "video" which
she characterizes as "the successor to installation".

I'd say "financial obligation to downgrade art made sans le paint."  Which is what it is; she is compelled by her history, her 2000, to think as she does.  This does not contradict your assertion that she is totally schizoid and bizarre, like say Lamarck.

Roberta, please... the rocking chair beckons.

For a military man BH you seem very content to let nature take its course.  In my opinion, power doesn't just fade away.  It is confronted and neutralized just like in chess.  Like P. Diddy, RS ain't goin' nowhere till someone downpack bares some teeth, bristles up, and makes her eat second or third.  Not to mention mating privileges....

best,

Blackhawk.

Max Herman
genius2000.net