Lachlan Brown on Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:58:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Brits and 911 part 2

I should add that I have never considered myself a
net.activist and am wary of people who would suggest
that they are net activists.

Writing email was a way to share immediate thoughts
and to archive them for rewriting later, as well as to
try to encourage others to criticise. It was also, I
thought, a necessity and a responsibility to speak up
in an extremely dangerous cultural moment and in the
face of extremely dangerous legislation.

It did seem as though the critical sensibility of
people in the west had been (and remains) cautersied, subduedor frightened into silence, and this was an
uncannyexperience. More uncanny was the reaction of
people(colleagues or ex-colleagues in the main) who reacted to the events in cowering, cringing and
cowardly ways.

People at Goldsmiths College and former colleagues
here in Canada were actively unhelpful.
One or two even intervened during my detention by Immigration Canada to try to make sure that my
criticism stopped.

I work the material and insights of the nine months following 911 into two books: 'Some thoughts on
the Unmarked Grave of History from the Unmade Bed of Culture.' and 'Tragedy of the Commons? Tragedy of Capital!'.

I hope to have both complete by September. I am also
putting together the 'coalition' e book, a
copublication of Thirdnet publishing and the Centre
for Urban and Community Research, which analyses
hate sites online provides local resources (Canadian and British) shared globally for combatting racism and provides a way to critique institutional racism in
our cultural institutions.

I have found it remarkable that people, white people,
who like to mediate race have been particularly
unhelpful or actively unhelpful in facilitating this
project here in Toronto. The phrase from one:
'we all act under self interest, you know that' (we do
not) a teacher of film at the University of Toronto
in a College with a name that celebrates a Canadian
academic by the name of Harold Innis stands out as evidence of the complete victory of the small minded right over the often complex, usually difficult,
but intensely critical cooperative, collegiate, and
collaborative contexts of publishing and education in
Canada.

Lachlan Brown