April on Tue, 9 Jul 2002 05:30:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] MS Office Tips 07-09-2002 [ Excel Row Hilighting Fun + Column and Row Trick ]

Title: MS Office Tips & Tricks

Useful Links

Message Board
Subscribe
Software Store
Computer Terms

Guides

Windows Shortcuts
Downloading
E-mail
Virus Guide
Digital Cameras
Emoticons :-)
Internet Errors
Software Install
File Sizes
Image Formats

Software Deals!

Check out our new bargain bin!
Click here now!

NNY Times Crosswords
Play hundreds of different crossword puzzles!

Only $12.97!

Pajama Sam's Sock Works
Awesome Kids Game!

Only $7.97

Business Cards
The easy way to make business cards!

Only $12.95!

Ulead PhotoImpact 6
Awesome graphics program - great for the web!

Only $34.97!

Encyclopedia Britannica 2002 w/ FREE Myst Game
The best encyclopedia with the # 1 game of all time!

Only $24.97!

Norton Personal Firewall 2002
Keep hackers out of your computer!!

Only $19.97!

Announcements

Hello everyone. I'm back…
Hope all of you enjoyed your long weekend as much as I did!

~ April

25 Ways To Improve Your PC!

I think this is the most useful package we've ever offered and I'm sure it's going to be an all-time best seller for this newsletter (it has been one of the most popular titles in our Computer Tips newsletter)! Oh, and wait till you see the great price!

What is it?

It's the Gizmos Mega Pak and it's loaded with all kinds of useful programs. Take a look at just some of its features:

The Vault - Securely encrypt and store your confidential files. You set the password and its 128 bit encryption insures that only YOU get access!

Organize Photos - It includes one of the best photo viewers I've ever seen. You tell it where the photos are (or have it search) and it displays a thumbnail of each. Just double-click an image to see it enlarged.

Cool Calendars - If you need the help of a calendar to keep track of appointments, look no further. This program includes a daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly calendar - all extremely well done and good looking.
These aren't the regular boring calendars that come with other software!

Fun Games - This software also includes 8 really well done card games (solitaire, free cell, etc). In addition, it also has a really cool puzzle game that gets progressively harder as you play. Oh, you can even listen to your own CDs while you play!

Awesome Clocks - Need to be somewhere at a certain time? Just set the alarm clock! This program includes a number of really cool desktop clocks that beat the heck out of the one included with Windows. If you're connected to the internet, you can even set the time with an atomic clock!

Really Delete Files - Did you know that there is software out there that can recover files that have been removed from your recycle bin? If you need to be sure that a file is history, you can use the built-in file shredder to *really* remove it.

Make Presentations - Forget MS PowerPoint, here's a solution that everyone can afford! You can create your own slide / video shows, complete with narration if you like (you'll need a microphone if you want to narrate). Making presentations is as easy as dragging and dropping! As for compatibility, if the person who is viewing the show doesn't have Gizmos on their computer, you can send them a player!

OK, sorry that was so long, but this software includes a lot of stuff. It's easily one of the most useful, well done pieces of software I've ever seen. I can not describe how impressed I am with this package. I'm already using it on a daily basis and will never give my copy up!

Now for the price. We have this program for only $14.95 with FREE US SHIPPING! It's one of the best deals we've ever had on a software package (and you know we've had some good deals). Remember, we do have a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you don't like it, we'll take it back (don't worry, you'll love it)! Here's the info link:

Click Here For Gizmos!

PS - I want to stress that this is really something you should look at. We only have a limited quantity, and that may sell out VERY fast. If you're interested in this, get to the website ASAP!

MS Office 101

Excel - Highlighting Columns and Rows. Oh, my!

Have you ever wanted to highlight an entire row or column in MS Excel? Perhaps for formatting the font or other such adjustments.

I bet some of you found yourself trying to highlight multiple cells, the ones that currently contain data, to make your changes. Then I bet you found more data to add to the row or column. So now you have to repeat the same process to format the new cells that you're using.

Sound familiar? Pain in the neck? A time waster to keep repeating the process?

Yep - I agree.

So, let's highlight an entire row or column and make the changes just once.

To highlight an entire row simply click on the row number to the left of the cells in the worksheet.

Need many rows? Click, hold, and drag, just like highlighting text.

Need to format many separated rows? Hold down the Control key while you click and you'll be allowed to highlight non-adjacent rows.

I can hear it already - what about the columns?

Happily, it works the same way. You'll need to click on the column letter. Click, hold, and drag will highlight adjacent columns and the Control key will allow non-adjacent highlighting.

Well - there you go. Trust me, this one can save you lots of time, and isn't that what we're all aiming for?

Office Tip of the Day

Excel: Column and Row AutoFit

Have you ever been working in MS Excel and found yourself spending all kinds of extra time trying to manually adjust column width or row heights? Or are you one of the many people who simply skip a column whenever text gets too long?

Well - here's one of the many solutions to these time-consuming problems.

AutoFit.

What's AutoFit, you ask?

Well, it's exactly what it sounds like. It's a tool in MS Excel that will automatically adjust a column width or row height to accommodate the longest piece of data. (Now if I could just get my closet or dresser drawers to automatically adjust when I'm out of room...)

Next question: How do I accomplish this little feat?

Answer: The first thing you need to do is to figure out which area(s) you need to AutoFit. Notice how the text in the picture below goes beyond the boundaries of the cell.

If I know I will need to adjust several columns or rows then I try to enter as much of the data as possible before AutoFitting. Why do I do this, you ask? Because it drives me crazy when I have to repeatedly use menus to accomplish the same task over and over again. If I wait, then I can highlight all rows or columns to be affected and complete the menu work only once or twice.

Once your decision(s) have been made you're ready to begin by highlighting the data to be accommodated. You really have some options here.

First, highlight the entire column(s) or row(s) (see the MS Office 101 tip above) or the specific cell(s) you want to adjust.

(I've highlighted column B because the cell with the text is in column B.)

Now you're ready to AutoFit.

From the Format menu, you need to choose either column or row, depending on what you're trying to AutoFit.

Slide your mouse pointer over your choice and you'll find a submenu pops up. The second choice on each submenu is AutoFit or AutoFit Selection. Select AutoFit and your row height or column width will increase to fit the largest piece of highlighted data, depending on which submenu you went into.

That's it. You should now notice that all the data you selected in your highlight fits within one cell.

Obviously it isn't a great time saver if you've got a small worksheet or small data. However, for those of you who have large worksheets, this is truly an awesome trick when you're working with long text (such as column titles).

Now, if I could just AutoFit my jeans that have become a bit too snug…

Copyright & Disclaimer

ISSN: 1529-336X
Copyright 2001, WorldStart. All unauthorized reproduction strictly prohibited.

You are welcome to reproduce this newsletter (i.e. print it, store it) for your own personal use. You are also welcome to forward it, in its entirety, to friends and family.

If you would like to reproduce this publication, or any part of it, in any other publication, be it web based or otherwise, you must contact us for permission. Any unauthorized re-distribution will be considered a copyright infringement and grounds
for a lawsuit.

Finally, you agree to try any advice contained or suggested in this newsletter at your own risk.

To remove yourself from this list, simply place a check next to the "Remove Me >From This List" checkbox then click the "Remove" button below. If that doesn't work, head to:

http://www.worldstart.com/newsletterunsub.htm

Remove Me From This List

If your e-mail address doesn't appear below, enter it and press the Remove button to unsubscribe.

You are currently subscribed as nettime-bold@nettime.org