Nmherman on Sun, 7 Jul 2002 23:09:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Gouge Away (Was: "Why we won't make it sin g2k")

New York Times:

"My own view is that one reason the investor class, including me, missed the
downside was serotonin," James J. Cramer, a former hedge fund manager and
author of "Confessions of a Street Addict" (Simon & Schuster, 2002), said,
referring to a substance in the brain that antidepression drugs augment.
"Prozac and all those other drugs banish the `this is the end of the world'
thoughts," Mr. Cramer explained. "Which means you are not as anxious as you
should be about an obvious down side."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/business/07SHRI.html

++

Scene 15: Ted Sawyer at Christmas party.

Max: --And we like truly understand that, so, so that, in the sense of like a
message from beyond ourselves, there will be a final message, and this thing
that we think is beyond ourselves is really just a belief that we've made up.
It's sort of like we're getting a final message from our own ignorance,
saying your ignorance is over, and you no longer have to be bound to it. And
then you can go on and move on from there.

Ted: So we're gonna realize that we've created our own sickness, and that we
can dispel it just as quickly.

Max: Well, ah, I think maybe--

Ted: It sounds like society or humanity is gonna come out of depression.

Max: Dude, I totally believe in depression as like a, like a psychic
phenomenon, and like a cultural phenomenon, economic, everything.

Ted: Mmm hmm. Yeah.

Max: I mean it's like, there comes a point where you lose your perspective.
You know, it's like you start--

Ted: Then all you have is your mess. That's the only thing you can find
solace in, because it's all you can know.

Max: Right.

Scene 16: Hooper in his office.

Hooper: The greatest tragedy of the social transformations of the past
hundred or so years, has come out of, and a lot of it is, you know, starts
out with science, economic, the ah, industrial development, is that not ah,
not only have political systems and village systems been destroyed, but the
social traditions that enable people to be happy, truly happy, with their
families, with their memories, they're being thrown away too. And the media
has a big role in this. It says, "all that, all that stuff, that fabric,
aesthetic, traditional fabric that's been holding your community together, is
stupid. Buy Coke, and you will be happy." And people fall for it. I mean
they, you know, people are vulnerable. They love to see those smiling, they
know those, that's America. So, that's the real tragedy, 'cause that's an
unnecessary loss. For people, for these certain people that I'm talking about
at the top, who are driven by wealth, in many cases, in addition to sometimes
truly believing that they are, they are making, or have the potential to make
things better for the world, they throw out, or they cause to be thrown out,
or they make sure that these other communities throw out some of the things
that can sustain them. But they don't put anything in their place. I mean,
apparently state ah, state communism made that mistake and I think capitalism
seems to be making the same mistake.

http://www.geocities.com/genius-2000/Hybris.html