Ronda Hauben on Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:03:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Issue of Amateur Computerist in honor of Michael Hauben and Netizens

In honor of the life and work of Michael Hauben (5/1/73-6/27/01) and
the concept of Netizen that he helped spread around the world,
we have published a special issue of the Amateur Computerist.
It is available via email by writing jrh@ais.org or from

http://www.ais.org/~jrh/acn/text/acn11-1.txt

Michael's earliest writing about the social impact of the Internet
were posted online in 1992/3. He coauthored the book "Netizens:
On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet" which was
available online since January 10, 1994 and in a published edition
by the IEEE Computer Society since May 1997.

Michael wanted there to be a sequel to Netizens. A book that would look
at the potential for the development of the Internet (and the Netizen)
that Michael recognized in 1992-1993 when he first did his online
research, and compare that to what has happened 10 years later.
We welcome collaboration and contributions toward such a sequel.

Also Michael wanted there to be a play dramatizing Netizens.
We also welcome collaboration toward such an effort.

We are planning some form of memorial to honor Michael's life and
work and welcome suggestions and contributions from the online netizen
community.

Ronda
ronda@panix.com
http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/