Lachlan Brown on Wed, 1 May 2002 00:22:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Love is the Law: Intro

Love is The Law: the passion of revolt
textual communities in the culture of the press pamphlet during the English Revolution

Lachlan Brown

Not a full year since, being quiet at my work,
my heart was filled with sweet thoughts, and
many things were revealed to me which I never
read in books, nor heard from the mouth of any
flesh, and when I began to speak of them, some
people could not bear my words, and amongst these
revelations this was one: <I>The the earth shall
be made a common treasury of livlihood to whole
mankind, without respect to persons; </I> and I
had a voice within me that bade me declare it all
abroad, which I did obey, for I declared it by
word of mouth wheresoever I came. Then I was made
to write a little book called The new Law of
righteousness, and therein I declared it; yet
my mind was not at rest, because nothing was acted,
and thoughts run in me that words and writings were
nothing and must die, for action is the life of all,
and if thou dost not act, thou dost nothing. Within
a little time I was made obedient to the word in that
particular likewise; for I took my spade and went and
broke the ground upon George Hill in Surrey, thereby
declaring freedom to the Creation, and that the earth
must be set free from the entanglements of Lords and
Landlords; and that it shall become a common treasury
to all…. –

Gerrard Winstanley, A Watch-word to the City of London
and the Armie (August 26, 1649) (1)

The radical writings of the seventeenth century English Press
Pamphlet reside at the threshold of our modernity. They represent
a navigation from sacred to secular, a negotiation of the source
of sense from Word of God to Heart of Man. For the radical writers
discussed below, each meaning was invested with and each action was
apprehended as a reconstitution of the communicative bonds that attach
 us to the world. Briefly put, through an analysis of de-sanctified
power and an understanding that without love there is no bond, civil or
 natural, they posited love as the law.

For some this analysis was knowing and reflexive, intimate with the
conditions of production, circulation and reception of their writing.
Their analysis – a “law written in the heart” (Winstanley 1650) was
concerned with the dispersal of power and control. As such these
writings have particular relevance for the present re-distribution of
media and communications in digital media, in contesting meanings
applied to memory and to history as well as the future or foresight in
a scriptural economy, and in reattaching them to notions of community.