Ivo Skoric on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:49:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: Suicide Bombers

It is very tricky to defend Milosevic's action in Kosovo, while trying
to expose Sharon's action in West Bank. Because, Sharon also
claims that he is just after the armed and 'uniformed' members of
well defined and named terrorist/paramilitary Palestinian formations
- Albanian paramilitaries (KLA) that Milosevic was after even have
the same letter "L" in the middle of their name just like PLO does,
hinting that they had the same objective: LIBERATION.

"The government force was appropriate to the nature of target,
terrain and the objective." - we hear that all the time from
aggressors around the world, don't we? It doesn't matter whether
their name is Milosevic or Sharon. And Milosevic, indeed, did not
use F16s and Apaches in Kosovo - but not out of his humane
restraint: he didn't use them because he didn't have them. He had
Drenica levelled to the ground just as Sharon had done it to
Ramallah, killing one terrorist in fifty dead civilians or so.

True, Albanians did not blow up themselves in Belgrade on
Orthodox Easter - now, in retrospect, maybe that would get some
attention of Belgrade intelligentsia to their decade-long suffering
under the martial-law - but that is because their local struggle
worked well. KLA was much better matched to the Yugoslav Army
than PLO is to the Israeli Army. KLA did not have to fight against
the latest military technology available to the Israeli Army, which
made their fight more fair - they did never have to resort to the most
desperate of weapons, the suicide bomber.

That's where US responsibility comes in: because it is the US that
armed the Israelis with this hi-tech weapons. It is also worth to
note that ALL US administrations insisted legally that Israelis can
use that weapons only in the defense from an external attack, as
former President Carter already publicly pointed out. The use of
those weapons against Palestinian refugee camps is a clear
violation of the US law that allowed Israelis to purchase those
weapons in the first place. I am appalled tha this breach of contract
issue did not already prompt US Congress to call for sanctions
against Israel, at least an arms embargo would be in order...

ivo