Lachlan Brown on Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:01:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] An Arrest.

Nettimers,

Thanks, on behalf of the 'nameless nobodies'
 to all who responded in one way or another
to my intervention into bad practice in
Internet scholarship and the industry.

The owner of nnportal.com has been arrested
in Denver, bail has been set at $1,000,000.00.

If anyone knows the owner of 'Mplayer teens',
a Toronto based site, could they please
contact the Toronto Metropolitan Police or
the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Lachlan Brown
Toronto

doing cultural studies,
anyone got a problem with that?

I enclose two items:
1. The Denver Post article regarding the arrest of  the owner of NNportal ('non-nude' portal)

2. and the NN webmasters discussing what happened
on a new bulletin board they have set up to
replace the old one. google search> 'nntalk'

1. the Denver Post

$1 million bail for porn suspect

Girl, mom defend Internet photographer

By Kirk Mitchell
Denver Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - A judge refused to lower a $1 million bail for a man arrested in a kiddie porn case in which thousands of online subscribers across the country allegedly paid to watch local teens having sex.

A 15-year-old girl who modeled for James Steven Grady speaks on his behalf at Arapahoe County Justice Center on Monday.

Arapahoe County District Judge Alex Bencze denied a defense request Monday to lower bail to $50,000 for James Steven Grady, 42, citing his lengthy criminal history. Grady is being held for investigation of sexual exploitation of two girls.

Grady, whose enterprise generated as much as $60,000 in revenue a month for the past three years, has been convicted three times in felony burglary and theft cases and has spent 10 years in the Colorado Department of Corrections. He also has three misdemeanor arrests, Bencze said.

Dozens of Arapahoe County sheriff's deputies and Colorado Bureau of Investigation officers raided Grady's business on 4301 S. Federal Blvd. Friday.

Sheriff's officers carted away evidence from the studio in two rental trucks and two vans. Evidence included computers, photographs and business records, Arapahoe County Undersheriff Grayson Robinson said. Probable cause to arrest Grady was based on pornographic photographs of two girls, he said.

Eventually, Grady could be charged with as many counts as there are illegal photographs of children found among his possessions, Robinson said.

"This is huge," Robinson said. "It is going to take quite a bit of time and effort to tie it all together."

A dozen CBI and sheriff's investigators are sorting through the voluminous records, he said. Grady had business operations in Nevada, Texas and Florida, Robinson said. Authorities in those states have been notified.

A 15-year-old girl and her mother attended Grady's initial appearance Monday at the courthouse and defended him.

"In our hearts he's done nothing wrong," the girl said. "It's crazy. Jimmy is the most caring guy I ever met."

Robinson said Grady's website did contain legal photographs of teens.

The girl, who aspires to be a model and movie star, said that all but a fraction of the girls involved in the Internet business called, "True Teen Babes," support Grady.

The Denver girl said she posed for $20 an hour wearing clothes of her choosing that included a bikini, shorts and lingerie. She only posed in ways she felt comfortable, which was never suggestive, she said.

If girls struck seductive poses, it was their own decision, she said.

"If I'm wrong for letting her go after her dream, I'm sorry," said the girl's mother on condition of anonymity. "This is not child pornography."

The woman said she watched all of her daughter's photography shoots and her daughter was never asked to pose nude, she said.

Grady "never says, "Can you show a little more,' " the 15-year-old girl said.

The girl said she participated in a live webcam program also operated by Grady called "True Teen Cams," in which subscribers ask her questions while photos are taken of her every eight to 10 seconds. In the rare instance when subscribers asked inappropriate questions, they were immediately warned that they could lose their privilege to correspond for a month, the girl said.

She described the subscribers as mostly college-aged men who are polite and very complimentary.

"They're really great guys," the girl said.

Some of the 18-year-old girls would take pictures in which they covered their breasts only with their hands, she said.

2.Here's text of the NN webmasters in a new discussion board (the old one was closed) talking about what happened and the recovery of
the 'scene'.

I could've sworn I was at NNTalk earlier this morning, but I went and now everything is closed. I read the post "4/8/02" but that doesn't really say what happened. I'm not asking for a long detailed report (unless someone wants to provide one), just a summary with key details and no vaugeness.

Thanks in advance.
-----------------
-Mike
AIM: mjbrannan | E-Mail: mjbrannan1@att.net
Buy my shit.

htp00
Administrator
Re: Can anyone explain exactly what happened?
Some dude likes shooting underage chicks naked. He gets arrested. All of the free sites gain new morals and condemn the things they used to do and run away....

Board gets closed, old one opens back up.

Alec
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Planet Girlco

Crash83
Uzer
Re: Can anyone explain exactly what happened?
Lol!!! Very funny and true.......sad but funny. Great to be back. Old Skool Style!

MasterBlaster
loves pepper
Truth
Alright...the TRUTH.

All of the nn webmasters were standing in the middle of the road ( I don't know why they do this, but they do)

Suddenly this huge SUV came along and ran them all over. Can't verify what model it was, but rumor has it that it was a GMC JIMMY.

Then a cop car came along and out jumped Officer Coatsy, who proceeded to yell at all the dead webmasters splattered all over the road. "I told you this would happen if you stood in the middle of the road every day."

In the confusion that ensued, Alec and Ars, locked in the back of Officer Coatsy's car for suspected marijuana possession, kicked out the window and walked away.

So, you really didn't miss anything.

Crash83
Uzer
Re: Truth
Alec Can we really say to everybody what happened or should we keep our mouths shut?

Silent Bob jedi knight
Moderator
Community Supporter

Re: Truth
I like Blasters story but yeah you summed it up Alec

TheArsenal
Administrator
Re: Truth

Quote:
In the confusion that ensued, Alec and Ars, locked in the back of Officer Coatsy's car for suspected marijuana possession, kicked out the window and walked away.

must have been a different ars.. cause i never touch the stuff.. bad for you...

I swear to drunk I'm not God ocifer

htp00
Administrator
Re: Truth
I plead the 5th on that one.... Arse wasnt there...lol Who's arse???

I summed it up right crash???

Alec
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Planet Girlco

Silent Bob jedi knight
Moderator
Community Supporter

Re: Truth
damn i think i should put my boots on now, cause.. well anyways

Cassiopeia
Uzer

Re: Truth
Great one MasterBlaster, tee hee.
"And I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Now let's see how well you HAN-dle it."
- Dark Helmet

Crash83
Uzer
Re: Truth
Yea thats pretty close Alec but people don't know how close to home this hit for everybody....

theasianlover2000
Moderator
Re: Can anyone explain exactly what happened?
Just wondering did you go to jail alec?

htp00
Administrator
Re: Can anyone explain exactly what happened?
ya

Alec
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Planet Girlco

Edited by: htp00 at: 4/10/02 10:14:48 am

Crash83
Uzer
Re: Can anyone explain exactly what happened?
HAHAHAHAA No lets just say someone did...and we all knew him...

aussieteen
Uzer
alec went to jail
lmao

Brother Blueyez
Uzer

Re: alec went to jail
I can't understand why anyone would have any questions.

This sure helped sum it all up.

yotone
Uzer

Re: Truth
great story! GMC JIMMY! Fantastic!
"What is your major malfunction, numb-nuts? Didn't mommy and daddy give you enough attention when you were a child?!" www.pigtail-girls.com Submit those pigtail pic's to me!

tqueens
Global Moderator

Re: Can anyone explain exactly what happened?
This sucks, I hate ezboard!
-----------------------------------
Teen Queens
Fav Teen Pics
Perfect Babes
Bombastic Teens
Teens In Stockings
Email me or ICQ me at 130321510
Webmasters make money here

Joe Boxer
Uzer
Re: Can anyone explain exactly what happened?
wtf im gone for a few days and boom everyhitng goes to hell and comes back ezboard. god this is terrible there is no new miss bear pics and cass changed her name to princess blue something. you knwo what im going to jsut blaim george bush, stare at the chick at the top of the page, take some asprin, and get some fucking sleep.