natashavita@earthlink.net on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 21:54:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] RE: RHIZOME_RAW: GENERATION FLASH (2 / 3)

From: Lev Manovich

I enjoyed reading Lev's article (first part).  While I may not agree with some of his 20th-Century thinking patterns which rely on humans being "all too human" and computers being "all to mechanical," but I think he offers a very thoughtful synopsis of an evolving fine art aspect behind the tool of Flash.

It's necessary to take into consideration the fact that massive computing power is expended in improving the human condition.  In that humans today are working overtime on learning about the proteins of DNA, reversing aging, extending life past the cut off point, replacing worn out parts, creating sight for the blind, audio for the hearing impaired, robotic and electronic limbs for the amputated, it would be reasonable to say that the perception and actualization of human potentiality has changed.

In that this is the memetics of this headset are everywhere we look, it cannot help but filter into our brains and affect our art.

Furthermore, Digital artists tend to become biological, if not mathematical, about our work.  When designing concepts that are based in algorithmic code, an innate association is made with DNA. In that most artists, myself included, tend to see each aspect of an art piece - an image, film, video, performance, dance, composition, story, - as an integral part of the entire art piece, the aspects are carriers of information that is shared, similar to the genes which chromosomal pairs work in conjunction.  While the human body has been an integral part of art since - whenever -; it seems appropriate that artists would find fascination and delight in imitating the body's architecture.

Another area we tend to mimic or at least reflect in our work is the expansive and powerful the environment of the universe - Space.  The abstraction of a nebula or galaxy, sunburst - the combustion and flare in the making and collapse of stars.  These illusions and impulses are similar to the driving force of abstract painting, jazz, rock and roll, etc.

I think Carl Sims is the best example of digital art anthropomorphizing.

Flash is a tool, just a tool.

Natasha Vita-More

RADICAL Future body design - Primo 3M+
http://www.natasha.cc/primo.htm