Ricardo Bello on Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:06:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Caracas: Coup inside a coup

	I never underplayed the role of Fedecamaras in the general strike.
Fedecamaras is an organization that groups all chambers of commerce and
production in Venezuela. Everybody belongs to it, except informal workers.
My farm is associated to it, and so all my friend´s business. Is it a
political sin to organize and try to defend one views in the context of a
populist government? If so, I´m guilty. I participated in all three strikes
and will do so again if Chavez doesn´t change his authocratic ways.
	You can´t catch the world in a conceptual net. This is right, this is
wrong. The world will slip throught your net. Things change. Yesterday
Chavez change his mind, he will not remove PDVSA´s management, a decision
that created much turmoil and precipitated the oil industry´s strike. He
will sit down and negotiate with them. It  was very difficult for Coronel
Chavez´s  government (many of members of Cabinet are Army Officers) to
accept dissidence. He is negotiating now. Many deaths could have been
avoided had he openned to dialog with PDVSA´s management just one week ago.
	Carmona, the ex-President of Fecamaras and the Republic participated in a
coup inside a coup. Everyone, including the CTV, the largest Workers Union,
gave their back to him, once that second and secret coup was accomplished.
All the members of this conspiracy, many of them from the Opus Dei, left
the country Saturday 13th. The CIA, it seems, knew all along the existence
of this secret group and the whereabouts of the place where this people
were meeting and discussing their plan. The owners of Benoco, an enterprise
whose CEO Carmona was, is mentioned. There are strong rumors that the
liason between them and the Army officers that imprisoned Chavez was Rubén
Rojas Pérez, son in law of ex-Christian Democrat President Rafael Caldera,
both of them close to Opus Dei.
	This is a dangerous country. Just from writing this you get hurt.
Yesterday, for example, an assassination attemp was made against the life
of Carlos Tablante, a leftist leader in the anti-Chavez political
territory. His driver die and the assassins were captured, all were
bodyguards of a close Chavez´s ally.
	Did Chavez learned anything from past week events? Things could change and
very fast, at least he should know that.