breathing planet on Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:35:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Press Release::Nationwide Ritual Resistance

For Press Release -[please forward]
April 5, 2002

Nationwide Whirl-Mart Ritual Resistance on Big Business Day.

Principle Contact:
breathingplanet@hotmail.com or 518-573-7947

Over the weekend of April 6 and 7, independently organized Whirl-Mart
troupes in 10 locations across the U.S. will enter superstores and silently
push empty carts for an hour

Locations and local contacts:
Troy/Albany, NY  breathingplanet@hotmail.com
Hudson, NY  brucefrishkoff@yahoo.com
NYC, NY    no contact
Scranton, PA   michael.paulukonis@rhd.com
Pittsburgh, PA   barnstormer@luxenet.com
Hadley, MA   cberrigan@hampshire.edu
Austin, TX   howandwhy@meowmail.com
Denton, TX  mwallace@library.unt.edu
Bay Area, CA  may_bee_doll@yahoo.com
Indianola, IA  depew@simpson.edu

Big Business Day consists of a consortium of independently organized actions
and performances in protest of the ways in which Big Business is taking over
every aspect of peoples’ lives, eliminating choice, broadening inequality,
and destroying democracy.

Whirl-Mart is a worldwide ritual which happens on a monthly basis and will
coincide with Big Business Day in April.  Participants gather at superstores
and form a chain of people  who push empty carts through the aisles.  A
Whirl may seem to be no more than an absurd and chaotic infiltration of
peoples’ usual shopping space, but it is intended to be a symbolic
statement.  It is symbolic of the will to resist consumerism and
advertising, despite being saturated in it mentally and physically (as one
is inside a superstore).  As a form of protest, it is unique because of its
silent meditative qualities.

Of course, there are many reasons to protest the domination superstores.
These corporations systematically destroy small business practice, and in
doing so, destroy consumers’ options. They rely heavily on sweatshop labor.
They have been known to wrongfully acquire land.  Many have been attacked
for poor employee treatment in addition to maintaining an anti-union stance.
  The participants of Whirl-Mart acknowledge all of these malfunctions of
the superstore model.  Moreover, we consider the superstore to be a
superlative symbol of an ideology founded on values of imperialism,
exploitation, and competition, namely capitalism.  They oppose these values
in our thoughts and in our dreams because they do not represent a
sustainable future for the living systems of planet Earth.  Through
Whirl-Mart, we come together to collectively create a physical and artful
manifestation of peaceful resistance.

Around the country and the world people are focusing their anti-consumerist
energies and their situationist desires on forming Whirl-Mart Consumption
Awareness Teams and organizing rituals.  These foolish ceremonies will serve
as a monthly reminder of overconsumption, encourage people to think about
their own rituals of consumption, and offer people the opportunity to
express resistance in a unique and satisfying way.

To learn more about Whirl-Mart, visit www.breathingplanet.net or call to
request a press packet or digital resource CD.