cristine wang on Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:49:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Fwd: symposium @ New Museum Zenith Media Lounge, April 7 (5:30pm)

=====
best regards, cristine wang

mobile: 917.318.0081
email: info@cristine.org

http://cristine.org

http://taxes.yahoo.com/
--- Begin Message ---
hi!

if you are in town, please come to a symposium
i'm organising with anne barlow at the
New Museum Zenith Media Lounge on April 7, Sunday
at 5:30pm. The panelists are: Robert Atkins (art
historian + critic), artists Betty Beaumont,
Peter Fend, and Marjetica Potrc.

if the attachment is garbled, click on:
http://cristine.org/events/sustainability.html

hope to see you there!

http://greetings.yahoo.com/
Title: For Immediate Release

                                                                                                                         For Immediate Release

New Museum
Media Z lounge
583 Broadway (between Houston and Prince Streets in SoHo)
New York, NY 10012

cordially invites you to:

"Strategies for Sustainability in a Global Economy"
Symposium

Sunday April 7, 2002
5:30 p.m.

Panelists: Robert Atkins, Betty Beaumont, Peter Fend & Marjetica Potrc

Moderated & Organized by: Cristine Wang in collaboration with Anne Barlow

The New Museum Media Z Lounge cordially invites you to the symposium "Strategies for Sustainability in a Global Economy".

The symposium will address the following questions: What is the societal role of art, and the ethics of our interventions in our built environment?  What are the critical environmental and ecological prevention issues which have an impact on the global village?  What are some examples of sustainable development from the point of view of industrial ecology?  How may we find new strategies for environmental management, waste reduction, pollution prevention?  Can art have a role in shaping the environment in which we live?  What new technologies are there which may benefit humanity in environmentally friendly ways? We see that emerging technologies that link the world together are not ethically neutral, but often have long-term implications for viability of natural systems, human rights, and our common future.

We may find some possibilities in the words of Joseph Beuys' and his theory of "Social Sculpture":

"...Social Sculpture--how we mold and shape the world in which we live:
SCULPTURE AS AN EVOLUTIONARY PROCESS...
All around us the fundamentals of life are crying out to be shaped, or created."

ROBERT ATKINS
is a New York-based art historian and author--and a former columnist for The Village Voice, the author of books including "ArtSpeak: A Guide to Contempory Ideas, Movements and Buzzwords," and the recipient of awards for art criticism from the NEA, Manufacturers Hanover Bank, and the Penny McCall Foundation. A  fellow at Carnegie
Mellon's Studio for Creative Inquiry, he is arts editor of The Media Channel (www.mediachannel.org, editor in chief of Artery: The AIDS-Arts Forum (www.artistswithaids.org/artery), and an instructor at the Rhode Island School of Design. He is a founder of Visual AIDS, the group that originated Day Without Art and the Red Ribbon, the initiator of 911‹THE SEPTEMBER 11 PROJECT: Cultural Intervention in Civic Society (http://rhizome.org/911), and is currently at work on an anthology of his writing called "Eye/I Witness: Art Writing as Activism, Criticism and
Reportage."

BETTY BEAUMONT
Betty Beaumont is an internationally recognized New York artist who has been actively involved with solution-based sustainability strategies for more than 3 decades. Twenty-two years ago Beaumont founded Art Research Collaboration, Inc. and has worked and consulted with scientists, engineers and scholars on such global issues as energy, species diversity, health and environmental hazards of toxins, and the elimination of waste. Her ecologically concerned work has been shown extensively in New York and Europe including P.S.1 Museum, the Queens Museum, and the Whitney Museum of American Art as well as the National Museum of Modern Art in Tokyo and Kyoto. She has received fellowships from the Creative Capital Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, New York State Council on the Arts, and the Pollock Krasner Foundation. Beaumont has taught at the University of California at Berkeley, New York University, and is currently a visiting scholar at Columbia University in the Graduate School of Architecture.

PETER FEND
Active at sites throughout the world, eco-artist Peter Fend will discuss the satellite-derived truths about Big Oil and Nuclear Power, focusing on the Gulf and on Chernobyl. He will then show practical solutions for now-damaged regions, working with already-researched zero-pollution energy systems which have yet to become industrial. To achieve his essentially architectural, or habitat, aims, Fend has a long-standing practice of collaborating with other artists, and with architects, scientists, economists and scholars, converging their creative inputs on to specific environmental tasks. The vehicle for practice is a business corporation, Ocean Earth Development Corporation. Founded in 1980, following through on various 70s efforts at multi-artist ventures and collaborations, Ocean Earth seeks to combine various art probes with recent science and engineering to effect realistic solutions to large-scale problems. Fend sees this work as Architecture, citing the thesis of Leon Battista Alberti that architecture is concerned with the city, the inhabited region, and for that makes the material/ technical arrangements, the siting of suitable technologies, which assure (1) clean air, (2) clean water, (3) circulatory space, (4) defense against damage from outside. To achieve these ends, Ocean Earth has been site-testing new energy technologies, modeling earthworks that would restore freshwater cycles, designing lightweight megastructures and, for defense, countering the Pentagon's space-based scenarios with campaigns for a wide diffusion of satellite imagery of hotspots for citizens' review. The obstacles to success, Fend concludes from experience, are not technical, nor even aesthetic; they're political.

MARJETICA POTRC
Slovenian artist & Hugo Boss Prize Winner Marjetica Potrc will discuss her body of work currently on exhibition at Max Protetch Gallery (NYC).  Her first major exhibition in New York was held at the Guggenheim on the occasion of the Hugo Boss Prize in 2000.  Potrc’s work comes from a well thought-out, politically minded position, focused around the needs and desires of people and their interactions with a changing urban environment.  Potrc articulates her belief in the aesthetic and political power that people create through individual initiative.  As Francesco Bonami writes in his essay for the Hugo Boss Prize catalogue, Potrc’s “living structures… show how the inhabitants of favelas and townships produce a threatening autonomy that challenges the planned structure of a city.”

ANNE BARLOW  is curator of the New Museum's Media Z Lounge.
CRISTINE WANG is an independent curator & critic <www.cristine.org>

For More Information, Contact:

Anne Barlow
tel: 212.219.1222 (x.205)