Lachlan Brown on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 19:08:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] AIR-L Jan - March 2002: The Harrowing of Hell

I think the AIR-L is as close to hell on
earth as it is possible to come. How can
so many Scholars of Internet pretend such
ignorance about their subject so publicly?
And what does this mean for a cultural understanding of Internet? Culture and Industry
need meaningful information not bullshit.

I see an old colleague Sally Wyatt cites a 'trolling incident' which I think shows
that she wasn't really paying attention to
the intervention from jan->march 2002.
Sally, please pay more attention!

I invite people to join the AIR list
to carry on the work I started there.
Ask questions, awkward questions,
impenetrable questions if need be, demand answers. Kick academic ass. Become the majority, vote me back in.

What I am doing is two things: thinking
about a list drawing upon expertise in
several areas with the provisional
name @party to discuss issues relevant to
the broad diversity of people who presently
have network access, and to consider the issues
that may arise for the people who will have network access in say 7-10 years time. I've
been chatting with a few people about this
during the past few months.
@party of course refers to the party held
at conferences like Worldcom by people who
had email addresses from 1980-mid 90s.
It will be a closed list somewhere between

And, because I enjoyed teaching the
collectivity of AIR so much I am thinking
through a project called 'the new college'
which will provide diplomas and degrees
online beginning with a basis adult
education course (specifically designed
for AIR scholars) introduction to cultural studies. I have a course I prepared in
1995 for such an eventuality.

Lachlan

[Air-l] susan?   Lachlan Brown
[Air-l] What?   Lachlan Brown
[Air-l] The Commons   Lachlan Brown
[Air-l] for Mary   Lachlan Brown
[Air-l] March 2002 executive committee report   Steve Jones
[Air-l] Lists similar to AoIR   JASON NOLAN
[Air-l] trans-national diaspora networks   John Daly
[Air-l] Re: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #331 - 16 msgs   Nicholas Jankowski
[Air-l] research gaps   Mark Andrejevic
[Air-l] Identiy and Internet   John White
[Air-l] Identiy and Internet   Denise Carter
[Air-l] Identiy and Internet   John White
[Air-l] Trolling   Susan Herring
[Air-l] research gaps   Steve Jones
[Air-l] Identity and Internet   Ben Davidson
[Air-l] Identity and Internet   Mary L. Gray
[Air-l] rurality and CMC   Mary L. Gray
[Air-l] Identity and Internet   Mary L. Gray
[Air-l] victimization rhetoric and the real victims   Christian Nelson
[Air-l] topics submitted to a(o)ir IR 3.0   Andrea Baker
[Air-l] upgraded listserv   jeremy hunsinger
[air-l] busy as bees   Lachlan Brown
[Air-l] Now, that's enough of that.   Lachlan Brown
[Air-l] action research   Ben Davidson
[Air-l] Sexism?   Lachlan Brown
[Air-l] Fwd: Visiting Artist/Instructor Positions   Steve Jones
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown has been unsubscribed from air-l   Steve Jones
[Air-l] Re: research gaps   Bram Dov Abramson
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown has been unsubscribed from air-l   T Kennedy
[Air-l] Oxford Summer School: Legal Responses to New Communications Technologies   Christian Sandvig
[Air-l] re: the commons; the public domain, etc.   RG Lentz
[Air-l] rurality and CMC   Michael Gurstein
[Air-l] On-line personals/net-dating/mail-order brides   Charlie Breindahl
[Air-l] re: the commons; the public domain, etc.   jeremy hunsinger
[Air-l] rurality and CMC   jeremy hunsinger
[Air-l] Conference and research course in ethics and methodology   Janne Bromseth
[Air-l] rurality and CMC   Ellis Godard
[Air-l] public domain/copyright Fwd: the patron saint of copyleft?   jeremy hunsinger
[Air-l] (no subject)   Sandeep Krishnamurthy
[Air-l] Symposium information   Bart Simon
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown   robert m. tynes
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown   Blanchard, Anita L
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown   Monika Merkes
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown   jeremy hunsinger
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown   Dean Rehberger
[Air-l] riaa hacks back?   Mark Andrejevic
[Air-l] Troll   robert m. tynes
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown & Free Speech   robert m. tynes
[Air-l] Disrupting lists   Charlie Breindahl
[Air-l] internet histories?   radhika gajjala
[Air-l] Learning from Lachlan   Michael Gurstein
[Air-l] Learning from Lachlan   radhika gajjala
[Air-l] internet histories?   Joan Korenman
[Air-l] Learning from Lachlan   Joan Korenman
[Air-l] Learning from Lachlan   radhika gajjala
[Air-l] online psychotherapy/supervision   Ben Davidson
[Air-l] Fw: [Reader-list] CFP: IT in regional areas   Kathleen O'Riordan
[Air-l] Internet research/Sub-saharan Africa   robert m. tynes
[Air-l] Internet research/Sub-saharan Africa   Rachel Harris
[Air-l] trolls, histories & sub-Saharan AFrica   Sally Wyatt
[Air-l] african internet research   Lokman Tsui
[Air-l] Internet Research - Africa   Daniel Pare
[Air-l] More Internet research/Sub-saharan Africa   Daniel Pare
[Air-l] Re: Internet research/Sub-saharan Africa   Bram Dov Abramson
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown   Steve Fox (NLG)
[Air-l] Re: Learning from Lachlan   Bram Dov Abramson
[Air-l] Re: Lachlan Brown   Bram Dov Abramson
[Air-l] Internet Histories   Merav Katz
[Air-l] Re: Learning from Lachlan   Rob Furr
[Air-l] Re: Learning from Lachlan   Muraco
[Air-l] Lachlan Brown   Alex Kuskis
[Air-l] plagiarism   Bunz, Ulla K
[Air-l] air-l posting policy   radhika gajjala