Newmedia on Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:59:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> A review of Negri and Hardt's Empire from an anarchist perspect...

Doug:

> . . . but to counter a lot of overheated perceptions of
> postmateriality that are almost everywhere you turn,
> whether it's to Alan Greenspan or Irish anarchists.

Remember the Hippies?  The BEATS?  What were they up to?  Living in the crux
of a conflict between the *mechanical* and the *electronic*?  A long time ago
. . .

But, we never throw anything away, do we?  How long should this conflict go
on?  Forever?

Greenspan was once one of a small handful of close disciples of Ayn Rand.
That was his Hippie.  His BEAT.  Ayn Rand was nothing more than a raging
conflict with the industrial (mechanical) uniformity of her Soviet past.  So,
she (and Greenspan) became post-industrial.  Electronic.  Post-modern.  Which
is why we hear him droning on about "technology that improves productivity"
today.  He's post-industrial.  It's his job.

But these are old conflicts.

No matter how many times it is hoicked up again and again on nettime as the
"anarchists of the Left" shadow box with the "anarchists of the Right," it is
still an old conflict . . . a conflict of our youth.

When the HARDWARE first fought with the SOFTWARE.

But, what are the new conflicts?  The CONFLICTS of the PRESENT?

Aren't you curious,

Mark Stahlman
New York City