Toby Barlow on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 05:10:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Re: the development of a solar infrastructure

Wow, what a trip. Please, before I waste any more of
your time, LOOK AT THE SITE, solar bonds are energy
bonds, bundling conservation and, in some cases, wind
to make the economies work. The math is very tight,
that's why the comptroller of San Francisco endorsed
Prop B.

As to the powers that be, well, bring 'em on.

The "mining of raw materials" issue you bring up is
enormously irrelevant. You're going to compare
silicon, the second most common element on earth, to
uranium?

As for the regions, last time I checked there was sun
everywhere. Germany has a lot more solar than we do
and they're located farther north in a cloudy climate.
And they're pretty damn smart when it comes to
allocating their technological resources.

Again, check out the site. Goodnight.

--- bc <human@electronetwork.org> wrote:

> Toby Barlow from solararmy.org replied:
>
> >I think your questions are good ones. I think there
> >are ideas worth studying here. But the question I
> have
> >is a fundamental one. Solar is a mature technology
> >with an immature manufacturing and marketing base,
> so
> >how do you change that?
>
>   i do not know. many people have tried, though, as
> you
>   are probably well aware of. politicians.
> scientists. and
>   activists.  economics has been the easiest
> dismissal of
>   solar tech in the USA, as it would cost more when
> the
>   statisticians were sporting numbers for various
> game
>   plays. yet the 'cost', as has been argued, is not
> just
>   that of the consumer. but production,
> transmission,
>   conversion, distribution also. and this can lead
> to the
>   issues of mining of raw materials that are
> questionable
>   in their destructive qualities of habitat, and-or
> human
>   health, as uranium mines are a few steps in the
> chain
>   of events to making these computers work, along
> with
>   everything else.
>
>   so, if it is economics,well, energy bonds and the
> idea
>   of investing in the future, now, is a solid
> approach, if
>   communities can find the critical mass to realize
> it. yet,
>   when a local power company is owned by another
> which
>   resides across the country, as part of its power
> portfolio,
>   well, again, as all know, powerful interests are
> at stake,
>   and any local initiatives risk taking on the
> behemoth of
>   the energy machine in its political-economic
> functioning.
>
>   if it is evaluated in the vague terms of pure
> force, and
>   friction, a small band or tribe of people who want
> to help
>   bring in the change are rubbing against the very
> foundation
>   of the local interest, if the status quo is the
> default action.
>   whereas the deeply embedded and self-interested
> system
>   of Operation that pre-exists and has superceded
> all of the
>   prior attempts to change it for the better, is
> like a well-
>   greased machine, ready to steamroll anything in
> its path
>   to systematic growth and complete market control.
>
>   thus, and this is only a guess, but if issues of
> energy are
>   only discussed in economic terms, and debated and
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
Toby Barlow
250 Texas St. SF CA 94107