Artemisia Gallery on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 22:27:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE : MARCH EXHIBITIONS

Artemisia Gallery ... 700 N. Carpenter ... Chicago, IL 60622
Ph 312 / 226-7323  ... Fx 312 / 226-7756 ...  www.artemisia.org MARCH EXHIBITIONS:

Main Gallery:  YVONNE MUINDE, PAINTED STORIES  (Painting)
“As you view the paintings please do not categorize the figures as just African or Black.  My paintings are visual stories about People.”  So says artist, Yvonne Muinde, who comes to Artemisia’s Main Gallery from Oakland, California.   Muinde chooses to paint images born from an African culture that ‘is my heart and home.’   Her subtle, monochromatic paintings are intimate portrayals of a standing moment in time—a silent testimony to the inspiration and passion that drives her life as an artist.

Galleries A & B:  MARCY & CHRIS SPERRY, artificial/Nature   (Digital Imaging / Painting)
Chicago artists, Marcy and Chris Sperry, combine creative efforts in an exhibition of visual storytelling--sometimes chaotic, sometimes quiet, and most always autobiographical.  Where Marcy combines text and inanimate objects with digital imagery to communicate ‘certain personal intimacies that don’t easily translate into words,’ Chris turns to paint, most specifically an earthy palette that emerges from his native West Virginia landscape.  Marcy’s approach is one of introspection, bound by her internal world.  Chris, on the other hand, turns to his immediate family and a childhood filled with a bee-raising father, a crotchety grandfather and notes of love to his wife. Together, the Sperry’s interweave words with a visual language distinct and unique from one another yet inevitably finding their connection to a cohesive and unified narrative.

Gallery C:  PATRICIA RESSEGUIE, TRACE: peel, dust, mark  (Photo / Mixed Media)
Using found and made objects, Chicago-based artist, Patricia Resseguie, constructs installations that are a curious look at the human imprint—residues of skin, hair or bodily fluids left behind in the environment—our maps to personal history, shared behaviors and individual idiosyncrasies.  Piqued by emerging technologies such as genetic engineering, Resseguie believes that ‘we are faced with new questions about nature/nurture, genetic memory, and diversity and autonomous identity.’  She offers the viewer an opportunity to interact with her pieces sometimes activated by touch, smell, taste and sound in an effort to evoke a non-linguistic, sensory memory.

Gallery D:  RANDY SIMMONS, “five and seven”  (Large Charcial Drawings)
Randy Simmons of Hickory, Kentucky, brings us his large-scale charcoal drawings—autobiographical accounts that examine the relationship between his children, girlfriends and ex-wives, the fears and joys of parenting.  In ‘five and seven,’ Simmons borrows from his oldest son’s kindergarten journals creating works ‘that play upon the fantasy/imagination of his quotes,’ mimicking handwritten phrases, oftentimes interjecting his own twist of adult humor and sarcasm.  As Simmons recreates his son’s drawings within his own, we are caught trying to decipher the edgy dichotomy between the adult and child or vice versa.