Doug Henwood on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:59:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> All right, I admit it -- I went to Davos

wade tillett wrote:

>Surely the good folks at the wef, that bastion of
>democracy, wanted to hear my voice, but the police would have none of
>it and finally forced me to leave... without my free compaq mind
>you!!!

Pity the poor journalist trying to cover the WEF. A minority of
selected hacks - from the NYT, CNBC, etc. - were designated members
of the "participating press,"  while most of us were designated the
"reporting press." The participating press got into the Waldorf (aka
the Walled-Off), while the reporting press was exiled to a neighoring
hotel, where we got to read some press releases, view selected events
on closed-circuit TV, and hear the occasional press conferences. The
press conferences were so short that there was hardly any time for
questions after the opening statments were uttered. At least I got to
see Bono & BillG@microsoft.com. For more, see next week's Nation
magazine.

Among the more interesting registrants, according to the official
list (bizarrely marked "confidential"): Homi Bhabha, Manuel Castells,
Naomi Campbell, Danny Schechter, Warren & Annette, Ossie Davis,
George Friedman (Stratfor), Jenny Holzer.

Doug