Paul D. Miller on Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:59:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Welcome to Enron, the biggest corporate disaster in recordedhistory

Well... here it is. One view of Enron...  fractal politics in a
democracy of images... welcome to the 21st century.

more info at:
  http://www.softskull.com/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?list=softskull-announce

Paul a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

>Enron’s End Run
>Sander Hicks of White Collar Crime Reports on
>The Bush White House’s Brewing Scandal
>
>respond to Sander@softskull.com
>
>The Washington Post once referred to Kuwait as an “oil company with
>a flag.” Perhaps this is what the Bush White House once thought the
>USA should be. This administration was intimate with the Enron
>Corporation, now in ruins of potential scandal and alleged fraud.
>This slowly emerging scandal leaves us with questions, but one
>thing’s for certain: L’Affaire Enron will build, and haunt the White
>House for years to come. The Senate’s newly announced investigation
>has a lot of work ahead of it. Will the White House survive intact?
>Will it sacrifice key officials to appease a Special Prosecutor?
>
>Welcome to Enron, the biggest corporate disaster of recorded history.
>
>When Enron filed for Chapter 11 on December 2, 2001, practically all
>of its 21,000 employees were unceremoniously relieved. At its peak,
>Enron stock’s total value was $70 billion, capital many people
>relied on in their retirement plan investments. Today, the total
>loss in equity value is hard to gauge, because before throwing in
>the towel, Enron was forced in November to restate its real earnings
>for years 1997, 1998 and 1999. Enron had hidden a lot of debt in
>“special purpose vehicles,” i.e. front companies it created to hide
>losses off the books, so its previous earnings reports were
>meaningless.
>
>Like the dot-coms, a lot of Enron’s value as a business was based on
>the “trust” that people placed in it, as it traded intangible bits
>of risk in its myriad of speculative trades in energy. When that
>trust was lost, a lot of people got burned. Today, Enron faces two
>Congressional investigations, a high profile Senate inquiry, a class
>action lawsuit from angry shareholders, and the threat of a suit
>from the General Accounting Office. The union bank Amalgamated  is
>already on the warpath. They are suing on behalf of the pension
>funds damaged by Enron’s $70billion implosion.
>
>The fiasco’s intimacy with Bush may bode badly for the President’s
>future. The White House and Enron have at times seemed
>interchangeable, both financially and politically. Vice President
>Cheney and Bush’s ruthless campaign advisor Karl Rove have consulted
>Enron Chair Ken Lay on energy policy. Lay’s suggestions to Rove on
>government appointments were followed. Enron and the White House
>have shared a revolving door of personnel: five former Enronians
>work in the White House and Cabinet. (Secretary of the Army Thomas
>E. White was a Vice Chairman, Economic Adviser Lawrence Lindsey ,
>U.S. Trade Representative Robert Zoellick, were both advisors, and
>Senior Staffers Karl Rove and Lewis “Scooter’’ Libbey, owned serious
>amounts of Enron stock.)
>And of course, the flow of money since the Reagan years has been
>colossal and reciprocated. Enron donated almost $2.4 million to
> [...]

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe
they are free...."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Port:status>OPEN
wildstyle access: www.djspooky.com

Paul D. Miller a.k.a. Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid

Subliminal Kid Inc.

Office Mailing Address:

Music and Art Management
245 w14th st #2RC NY NY