Joe zapala on Sat, 29 Dec 2001 13:11:12 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Fraud Letter?

Just got this e-mail today and I wrote back with not much info. I was doinng the research when I crossed the site that talks about other fraud cases. Thanks for the warning!
--- Begin Message ---
                      BUSINESS ASSISTANCE.

DEAR SIR,

I AM A CITIZEN OF ZAIRE, SON OF THE LATE FORMER
PRESIDENT OF ZAIRE (PRESIDENT MOBUTU SESE SEKO) SINCE
THE DEATH OF MY LATE FATHER SOME YEARS AGO I HAVE BEEN

RESIDING IN NIGERIA ON TEMPORARY POLITICAL ASYLUM. ON
MY ARRIVALIN NIGERIA AFTER MY LATE FATHER'S BURIAL, I
CAME INTO NIGERIA WITH A DIPLOMATIC PACKAGED
CONSIGNMENTS CONTAINING THE SUM OF $12,000,000.00
(TWELVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS) WHICH I GOT
FROM PART OF THE MONEY MY LATE FATHER MADE THROUGH
DIAMONDS SALES WHEN HE WAS THE PRESIDENT OF ZAIRE FOR
ABOUT 32 YEARS.PRECISELY, SINCE MY ARRIVAL WITH THE
DIPLOMATIC PACKAGED CONSIGNMENT IT HAS BEEN SAFELY
KEPT WITH A SECURITY COMPANY HERE IN NIGERIA MOREOVER,

I DO NOT WANT TO INVEST THIS MONEY IN ANY PART OF
AFRICA DUE TO THE CONSTANTPOLITICAL INSTABILITY IN
AFRICA.MY PLAN IS TO USE THIS MONEY TO INVEST IN A
PROFITABLE BUSINESS IN ANY PART OF THE WORLD APART
FROM AFRICA, ALSO TO PURCHASE A RESIDENTIAL
ACCOMMODATION. I WILL COME OVER AND SETTLE THERE
WITHMY FAMILY. HENCE,I AM SOLICITING FOR YOUR
ASSISTANCE AS MY FOREIGN PARTNER TO RECEIVE THIS
MONEY ON MY BEHALF ON ARRIVAL ABROAD AND TO KEEP IT
INA SAFE PLACE PENDING MY ARRIVAL TO JOIN YOU UP. UPON

THE RECEIPT OF YOUR ACCEPTANCE TO MY PROPOSAL, I CAN
IMMEDIATELY ARRANGE FOR THE MONEY TOLEAVE NIGERIA IN
YOUR FAVOUR (i.e. AS THE BENEFICIARY) FOR ONWARD
MOVEMENT TO WHERE YOU CAN RECEIVE THE CONSIGNMENT.
PLEASE IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ASSIST ME, DO SEND INYOUR

REPLY IMMEDIATELY BASED ON THE FOLLOWING: -

(1) WHAT PERCENTAGE OF THIS AMOUNT DO YOU INTEND
TOCHARGE FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO
EXPRESS YOUR MIND,
(2) INCLUDE YOUR PRIVATE TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBERS TO
ENHANCE THE CONFIDENTIALITY,WHICH THIS BUSINESS
DEMANDS.

SHALL INFORM YOU WITH NEXT LINE OF ACTION AS SOON AS I

RECEIVE YOUR POSITIVE RESPONSE. 10% OF THE TOTAL MONEY

WILL BE SET ASIDE FOR ANY EXTRA EXPENDITURE. I ASSURE
YOU THAT THERE WILL NOT BEANY BLOW BACK.
YOUR URGENT REPONSE THROGH MY E-MAIL OR ALTERNATIVE
EMAIL:ETOHM@EXCITE.COM, SHALL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

BEST REGARDS,
ETOH MOBUTU

Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Dear Mr Joe Zapala,

Complement of the season and thanks for your response. I am also glad
and happy that you are willing to assist me in settling down in the state.
I have been through so much that your willingness to assist me is amazing.
People took advantage of me all because of what they could get from me.
I never knew that this country is that terrible. I hope and pray that
I can relied on you to see me through. I want to assure you that everything
in regards to this transaction is very legal. I did not steal anybody
money and I am not running from any government or anybody for that matter.
All I need is for this money to get safely to US and I was assure by
the security company that they will ensure that. I am going to pay all
the charges they might ask for here. I do not mind investing in your
business so long you give me a full detail of your line of business and
I would also like to buy a house so that I can stay when I get there.
Anyway we will work all these out later on. Meanwhile, you did not specify
when to call you, so I am going to call you tomorrow, but you can also
call me on my private number +2348033019078.

Presently, the money is lodged in a security company here in Nigeria
in three boxes. You will need to send your address to me so that I can
apply for a change of beneficiary on your behalf. I will also find out
all the modality that will ensure a smooth transaction. I happened to
be a very private individual and I would want you to really keep this
transaction private.

Most importantly, I would want to count on you as a friend I could trust.
I look forward to hearing from you.