Lachlan Brown on Sat, 8 Dec 2001 04:13:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Very Funny, I think not

NOT funny.

Can the Nettimer-bolder who took the May and June 1998
copies of Difference Engine from the 'Internet Archive'
please put it back this instant!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/19980709120537/http://scorpio.gold.ac.uk/difference/engine.html

You know who you are...

Lachlan

>Few things surprise me anymore about Internet
but 'The Internet Archive' is a bliss. Quite a good sample
of the WWW from mid 1996...

I am amazed to see that my 'difference engine'
 which was censored on 28 May 1998 by the
closure of my staff and research
log-in and erased simultaneously
at York University in Toronto and at Goldsmiths College in
September 1998 (http://www.gold.ac.uk/difference/engine.html)
is here (or much of it anyway) at the Internet Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980709120537/http://scorpio.gold.ac.uk/difference/engine.html

British Cultural Studies erased a folder named /difference/ in a frenzied witch-hunt
and called it an administrative error.

Come and see what those utter bastards at
Goldsmiths College destroyed. Barbarians.

Hmmm....

My God its like excavating through the
ash of Pompeii to find some former civilisation. The 'digital age'.

Lachlan Brown
http://third.net

Wayback Machine Overview

The Wayback Machine, a service from the
Internet
Archive and Alexa Internet, allows people to
 access
and use archived versions of stored websites.
 Visitors
to the Wayback Machine can type in an URL,
select
a date, and then begin surfing on an archived
 version
of the web. The Wayback Machine is built so

that it
can be used and referenced by anybody and

everybody.
The original idea for the Wayback Machine

began in
1996, when the Internet Archive first began
archiving
the web. Now, five years later, with over 100
terabytes
and a dozen web crawls completed, the Internet
 Archive
has made the Wayback Machine available to the
public.
The Wayback Machine, which currently contains
over 100
terabytes of data and is growing at a rate of
 12 terabytes
per month, is the largest known database in
the world,
containing multiple copies of the entire
publicly available
web. This eclipses the amount of data
contained in the
world's largest libraries, including the
Library of Congress

[remember how meaningful the web was in 1997?  go have your hopes crushed
again.  ~d]

THE WAYBACK MACHINE -- http://web.archive.org

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup