Steve McAlexander on Mon, 3 Dec 2001 06:20:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] A POLICE STATE IN AMERICA?

Title: Message
A New Editorial Every Friday!
http://www.newswatchmagazine.org/weekly_editor/index.htm

November 30, 2001
Dear Newswatch Magazine Listeners/Readers:

The September 11, 2001 terrorist attack upon the United States was a terrible crime against our nation. Those who are working for a One-World-Government look for opportunities to use crises to further their aims and purposes. Legislators rush to pass Laws that they say are designed to protect America from future terrorist attacks. One such Law has now been passed with only three "no" votes. The short name for it is the USA PATRIOT ACT. Critics, on both the left and right politically, are saying the Act does nothing to secure our nation from terrorist attacks, but it only STRIPS Americans of fundamental Constitutional rights. THEY SAY IT HAS SET THE STAGE FOR A POLICE STATE IN AMERICA.

Representative Ron Paul from Texas is one of the three who voted against it. WHY? He claims the Act is a wholesale abrogation of civil liberties and totally unconstitutional. Ron Paul revealed that this monumental act of congress was not printed and a copy delivered to each congressman BEFORE it was introduced to be voted upon. No one knew WHAT was inside the pages of it. Only those who wrote it knew the true ramifications of the Act. He reported that the committee "stonewalled" as to what the contents of the Act was - yet it was passed!!!

Ron Paul said the worst part of the antiterrorism bill is the increased ability of the federal government to commit surveillance on all of us without proper search warrants. He referred to Section 213 which allows police to avoid giving prior warning when searches of personal property are conducted. This totally eliminates OUR Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures.

I, Editor of Newswatch Magazine, have said for years that their plan is to erode the constitution piece-by-piece until we have a police state. The Fourth Amendment states: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall NOT be violated; and no warrants shall issue, BUT UPON PROBABLE CAUSE, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Ron Paul says the new Law clearly authorizes illegal search and seizure. Our founding fathers rebelled against the British government for less.

Representative Bernie Sanders from Vermont is an independent. He voted against the Act also because: "I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, and I'm concerned that by voting for this legislation fundamentally violates that oath. And the full contents of the legislation have no been subjected to serious hearings and searching examination."

Representative C. L. Otter [R-Idaho], one of the three who voted against the Act, found the legislation unconstitutional and said he knew the provision would be a problem. Section 215 authorizes the FBI to confiscate any business records by order of A SECRET U.S. COURT. The person searched is FORBIDDEN from telling any person that he has received such a request [to be searched]. This is a violation of the First Amendment right to free speech and the Fourth Amendment protection of private property. Otter said that "some of these provisions place more power in the hands of law enforcers than our Founding Fathers could have dreamt and severely compromises the civil liberties of law abiding Americans. This bill is rife with constitutional INFRINGEMENTS I could not support."

America - we are on the brink of destruction as a nation the way we have known it.

Sincerely,
David J. Smith

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor