Steve McAlexander on Wed, 14 Nov 2001 06:14:02 +0100 (CET)

RE: [Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> discussion on www.edge.org about the world after 911

I thought that was what our politicians were made of.   Hahahhahahha

Steve McAlexander
"Strength and Honor"

John Adams wrote in 1772: "There is danger from all men. The only maxim
of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to
endanger the public liberty." Thomas Jefferson wrote in 1799, "Free
government is founded in jealousy, not confidence.... Let no more be
heard of confidence in men, but bind him down from mischief by the
chains of the Constitutions."

-----Original Message-----
From: nettime-bold-admin@nettime.org
[mailto:nettime-bold-admin@nettime.org] On Behalf Of richard barbrook
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 18:52
To: Geert Lovink
Cc: NETTIME-L@BBS.THING.NET
Subject: [Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> discussion on www.edge.org about
the world after 911

Hiya,

>Marvin Minsky: I agree with much of the rest of what David Deutsch says
>but I feel that he has missed Dawkins' point: that one way that we
>can defend ourselves is by finding ways to reduce the huge numbers of
>people who have been trained to follow charismatic leaders by
suspending
>their critical thinking and commonsense.

...and this smug comment is from someone who claims that he can create
intelligent life out of plastic, sand and metal!

Later,

Richard

Dr. Richard Barbrook
Hypermedia Research Centre
School of Communications and Creative Industries
University of Westminster
Watford Road
Northwick Park
HARROW HA1 3TP

<www.hrc.wmin.ac.uk>

landline: +44 (0)20 7911 5000 x 4590

mobile: 07879-441873

"While there is irony, we are still living in the prehistoric age. And
we
are not out of it yet..." - Henri Lefebvre

The HRC is involved in running regular cybersalons at the ICA in London.
If
you would like to be informed about forthcoming events, you can
subscribe
to a listserver on our website: <www.cybersalon.org>.