Steve McAlexander on Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:27:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Fw: [townhall-discuss] Homeland Security (Fascinating read citizen's)

Taken from a SF town meeting.  Zig Heil Citizen......

> "Citizen, Can I See Your ID."
>
> What has not been explained to the American people is the reason why
35,000 Army Reservists and 65,000
> National Guard have been called up. It is to maintain internal
checkpoints. It has nothing to do with the external
> "War on Terrorism." All of these people are being trained at the US Army
School of Urban Control at Fort
> Campbell, Kentucky. CNN actually showed an urban training mock-up, what
they're training on, and what the new
> Internal Security checkpoint is going to look like. It was mighty sinister
looking.

>       There was a barrier that went across the road. To the right was an
elevated shed like structure, elevated
> perhaps fifteen feet in the air. It had a small second story that was
open. On it was a sign that read "Homeland
> Security Internal Checkpoint." There were sandbags and the wooden arm that
crossed the road read "100% ID
> Checked." Then there was a small shed to the right with a small barbed
wire area behind that. On this structure
> was a sign, which read, "All citizens not having proper identification
will be detained. All foreign nationals will be
> detained. All citizens who are deemed to be acting in a suspicious manner
will be detained." At each of these posts
> there will be six armed Army or National Guard reservists with M-16's with
full field kit. On top of the structure to
> the rear, the open structure on top, there's a man with a machine gun
emplacement.

>       They showed the actual mockup used for training purposes. They had
new uniforms. They weren't in their
> regular uniforms. It's a new gray uniform with a gray helmet and a visor
so you can't see their eyes. The only thing
> you can see is from their lips down because they said that's "to prevent
any retribution" from people who don't like
> this new idea.
>
>       This uniform looked exactly like the Imperial Storm Troopers from
"Star Wars" except instead of white, it was
> gray. All the helmets have little transceivers so they can communicate
with each other. There will be six guards at
> each internal security checkpoint. And there's another warning on the
inside of the barbed wire enclosure, "Any
> detainees attempting to escape will be shot." It was a yellow and red sign
inside the detainment area.

>       The only person who actually spoke on camera during this story was a
sergeant, an Army Reservist sergeant.
> You could tell that he completely disagreed with what was going on. You
couldn't hear the question being asked, but
> he was looking at the camera and he said, "We're here to protect the
people." Then he put his head down and
> shook his head, and you could tell he didn't believe a word of what he was
saying -- like it was some big frigging
> joke.
>
>       Then they showed the procedure they were using to train these guys.
An average American car, like a Ford or
> a Chevy, drives up and there's supposed to be a husband and wife in the
front seat and a couple of kiddies in the
> back. So they drive up to the checkpoint, and the corporal comes up to the
car and says, "May I see your
> identification, citizen."
>
>       They call everyone "citizen." I swear to God, I'm not making this
up. Then the guy asks for his driver's license,
> then something else and something else. Then he says, "Very good,
citizen."

>       There's a spot on the gate that goes across the road that they had
x-ed out. But you could tell what it said
> because the sergeant alluded to it. It said, "All citizens are required to
present their National Identification
> Cards." But they left it blank as a black spray-painted out spot because
the legislation for that hasn't happened
> yet.
>
>       The big sign on the side of the one and half story shed with the
machine gun nest on top said "Homeland
> Security Internal Checkpoint." And now we're all supposed to say, "Hail
the Republic." That's the new mantra.
> They showed a bunch of guys being trained at Fort Campbell, Kentucky,
probably enlisted and reservists and such.
> And they kept raising up their right arm saying, "Hail the Republic."
>
>       The sergeant even said that they are duplicating the ancient Roman
Legions salute to Caesar, using the right
> arm upraised with the fist. Instead of "Hail Caesar," though they say,
"Hail the Republic."

>       This is what's coming. People don't believe it or people don't
understand it but when 80% of the people support
> whatever "security" measures are necessary.
>
>       What does it all mean? We all better start worrying when George Bush
starts to play the fiddle.

>       Congress is supposed to be recessed for the rest of the year, but
they will be giving the Administration
> extraordinary wartime authority -- pursuant to all remaining legislation.
In other words, they will simply allow the
> Administration to act under pending statutes. They are simply going to
transfer to the Administration emergency
> wartime power to act under bills, which are still pending, even though
they haven't been passed.

>       The implication is that we will be under a defacto state of martial
law soon. There are 100,000 military being
> trained for these internal security checkpoints.
>
>       When they were showing the lines of enlisted and reserve people
being trained in this camp, with M-16s in their
> hands, I can tell you I don't think any of them would hesitate to shoot at
American citizens. I think they're being
> indoctrinated. The indoctrination they're going through is obvious. The
enlisted people are being told by the drill
> sergeant that they are being given extraordinary authority that "your job
is to protect the security of the State at
> all costs."
>
>       There is a direct parallel between the old Soviet Union and the East
Bloc and what we are doing. We are
> establishing internal travel restrictions on the American people. We are
essentially following the Soviet textbook.
> In the Soviet Communist Bloc, for example, there were checkpoints in every
city. You had to have what's called an
> "internal travel visa." You had to have that visa stamped at every
checkpoint in every city. Then they checked you
> out at every entrance to every city. Then if you checked out, they would
affix a visa stamp and charge you ten
> marks for it. It was a real racket.
>
>       What will be interesting to see is what kind of a racket is going to
go along with these internal security check
> points. In other words, how much of a "toll" are they going to charge?
They're going to have to do something to
> pay for all of this and one of the obvious ways to pay for it would be to
charge everyone a one or two dollar "toll."

>       And this is what we should be looking forward to - toll booths
around the nation. They're not saying this yet, but
> obviously in an effort to pay for this, there's going to be some sort of a
"security tax." Since this system is
> incredibly cumbersome (having to stop every single vehicle and check
identification) and we've been taught to be
> suspicious of driver's licenses because it's so easy to obtain false
driver's licenses, the implication is that national
> security cards are the only thing that will eventually be accepted as
identification. The further implication is that in
> order to accommodate traffic (this will create traffic jams miles and
miles long), there would be a separate line for
> those carrying pre-approved internal visas whose allegiance to the
government has already been checked.

>       The sergeant on the news report said that all the people involved
(100,000 military people) are being forced to
> swear new loyalty oaths to the United States. He just mentioned the
government's overall policy, which Bush
> talked about last week, that all federal civilian employees are going to
have to take new oaths of allegiance to the
> "Republic." And that extends to some members of the military who will be
involved in internal security.

>       Surprisingly enough all these border checks, you would think, would
be handled directly by the military - or
> under the auspices of the military. They're not. They're under the
auspices of "Homeland Security." What it
> means is that you have 100,000 troops (reservists and national guards
people) based in the United States, which
> will be seconded to the Office of Homeland Security. Their ultimate
jurisdiction is being transferred from the
> Department of Defense to the Office of Homeland Security.
>
>       In other words, the Office of Homeland Security is gaining a
militarized division of 100,000 troops.

>       It's finally getting some of the liberals nervous. But it's coming.
Day after day, they're showing polls that

----

(mailto:townhall-discuss-off@911peace.net)