Newmedia on Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:28:01 +0100 (CET)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> discussion on www.edge.org about the world after 911

Geert:

> mark stahlman pointed me a debate between
> edgy libertarian/nineties US tech intelligentsia
> on john brockman's edge.org site:

Hmmmm . . . perhaps a little CONTEXT would help . . . ?

While there are probably some "edgy libertarian/nineties US tech
intelligentsia" types involved with the EDGE (which is, in some sense, the
successor to "The Reality Club" -- thus Barlow, Kelly, etc.), there are also
many others for whom this really doesn't fit . . .

John Brockman has styled himself to be an exponent of the "Third Culture" for
quite awhile . . . which, as you recall, is primarily a "left" and "Euro"
(well, at least, "Anglo") tendency following on the 1959 call by C.P. Snow
(in "The Two Cultures") for the *technocrats* to begin to develop some ART .
. .

Best,

Mark Stahlman
New York City