Nmherman on Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:48:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Minnesota Outsider Artist in Dispute with Walker Art Center (Fwd)

Subj: Norm Battles The Walker! New Bylines!
Date: 10/23/2001 8:02:16 PM Central Daylight Time
From: cosmoetica@att.net
Sent from the Internet (Details)

http://www.cosmoetica.com/Bylines2.htm#B24-NO5

B24-NO5
RE:  Zero to Infinity:  Arte Povera 1962-1972 Currently at the Walker
Art Center
Copyright © by Norm Olson, normanjolson@hotmail.com, 10/23/01

  About three weeks ago, I made up photocopies of several of my large
drawings and sent them to
the Walker Art Center along with a nice letter asking the Walker to do a
showing of my work.  I got
a form letter back from somebody named Phillip, who was sorry to tell me
that the Walker could not
show my work because the exhibition schedule was full.  Well, I was not
surprised, I have given the
Walker an opportunity to show my work every year or two for the past 40
years and while the
Phillips have changed, the content of the form letter has not.
  The Walker would certainly argue that Norman J. Olson is not an
internationally known art world
character in the first place, and in the second place, his drawings are
simply not good enough to hang
in the area’s premier showplace for modern art.  The Walker folks may be
correct on both counts.
It is not uncommon for artists to overrate their own art.  On the other
hand....
--
Dan Schneider, cosmoetica@att.net
www.Cosmoetica.com : The Best in