Nina Czegledy on Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:37:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] digibodies BUDAPEST

dear Felix,
can you please help to post this on nettime?
I am not sure if I can do it directly
nina

sincere apologies for cross-postings -

DIGITIZED BODIES - VIRTUAL SPECTACLES
25 October - 25 November 2001
http://www.digibodies.org

The Ludwig Museum Budapest - Museum of Contemporary Art, in collaboration
with C3: Center for Culture & Communication and InterAccess Toronto, within
the framework of the Budapest Autumn Festival, presents the exhibition and
event series entitled Digitized Bodies - Virtual Spectacles.
One of the primary objectives of the Digitized Bodies - Virtual Spectacles
project is, on the one hand, the evolution of a kind of interdisciplinary
communication, and on the other hand, the presentation of such artworks
that demonstrate the transformation of our constructed image of the human
body under the influence of medical technology. The exhibition - and the
project in its entirety - seek the answer to the same question, in
attempting to examine our metamorphosising notions in accordance with the
accelerating development of the various technologies, and to present how
artists, theoreticians and scientists acknowledge and evaluate the
digitalization of our culture.

CANADA IN BUDAPEST  (for the)
2001 Budapest Autumn Festival

DIGITIZED BODIES:- VIRTUAL SPECTACLES
An International touring exhibition/ Symposium/ Performance series/
CD-ROM/ Book/ and ON-LINE Symposium featuring the works of SIX Canadian
Artists

CURATED BY NINA CZEGLEDY

THE LUDWIG MUSEUM / MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART is Hungary's  primary site
for cultural events and the dissemination of contemporary art.  C3: CENTRE
FOR CULTURE AND COMMUNICATION is an International production centre and
venue for advanced digital research.

THE DIGITIZED BODIES - VIRTUAL SPECTACLES project, investigates ways in
which rapidly evolving technologies affect our perception of our bodies,
our lives, our imagination  in fact our very future. It asks critical
questions:
	-How has contemporary techno-science refigure the already complex
dichotomies of nature Vs artifice:  real Vs virtual;  body Vs embodiment?

	-How do we decipher the ambiguities that surround the documented
data body?

	-How can we continue to use the term "intimate" (perception), in
an age when Barbara Stafford has  written that: "the computer-mediated
milieu renders the body nakedly public?"

The questions Czegledy poses are hugely significant in this complex time
which surrounds us. In her early writing Czegledy presciently enquired
"How do we preserve our individual integrity without becoming [mere]
electronic spectacles?"

EXHIBITION:
Digtialis Testek/Digitized-Bodies
October 26-November 26, 2001
Nell Tenhaaf, Jon Baturin, Eric Fong, Jack Butler, Nina Czegledy,
Hilda Kozari/Tibor Vamos, Orshi Drozdik, Gabor Kerekes, Zsolt Peter Barta,
Jozsef Hajdu, Antal Lakner, Tibor Gyenis, Luca Gobolyos, Rajko Bizjak,
Eclipse.

OPENING RECEPTION:
Thursday,  October 25, 2001 6 pm
Ludwig Museum Budapest/Museum of Contemporary Art
Varpalota, Szent Gyorgy ter 2
Budapest               tel 375 9175

OPENING REMARKS
Marta Moszczenska, Canadian Ambassador to Hungary,
Katalin Neray, Director, Ludwig Museum of Contemporary Arts
Miklos Peternak,  Director C3 Centre for Culture and Communication
Vera Baksa-Soos (Hungary) & Marina Grzinic (Slovenia) co-curators

DIGIBODIES BOOK/CD LAUNCH.
Jean Gagnon, Director of Programs: Daniel Langlois Foundation, Montreal.
Book & CD were produced eith the Financial Assistance of the Daniel
Langlois Foundation.

PERFORMANCE
Would You Digitalize Your Soul?
performance by Tanja Ostojic
Thursday,  October 25, 2001

BIO_MEDIA_FORUM
Public Forum/Symposium
Friday, October 26, 2001, 10am
The French Institute, Fo u.17             tel 202 1133
PANELISTS: Vera Baksa Soos, Nina Czegledy, Kim Sawchuk , Sara Diamond,
John Tonkin,
Oliver Ressler, Erika Pasztor, Nell Tenhaaf, Eric Fong, Balazs Beothy,
Jill Scottt,
Gusztav Hamos, Marina Grzinic, Oliver Ressler

HALLOWEEN MASQUERADE BALL:
"Corporeal"
performance by Atau Tanaka
Friday,  October 26,2001
The French Institute, Fo u.17          tel 202 1133
Supported by the Japan Foundation, Budapest

WIRED BODY/MEDIATED BODY
SCREENING OF INTERNATIONAL VIDEO
Co-curated by Nina Czegledy, Vera Baksa-Soos, Marina Grzinic.
Saturday, October 27, 2001
Ludwig Museum Budapest/Museum of Contemporary Art
Varpalota, Szent Gyorgy ter 2  tel 375 9175

CODE ZEBRA:
WORKSHOP
Sara Diamond
Monday, October 29, 2001
C3 Centre for Culture and Communication

CODE ZEBRA:  HALLOWEEN MASQUERADE BALL
PERFORMANCE
Sara Diamond
Wednesday, October 31, 2001  8:30 pm
Ludwig Museum Budapest/Museum of Contemporary Art
Varpalota, Szent Gyorgy ter 2        tel 375 9175

INTERACTIVE WEB-SITE:
www.digibodies.org

THE PROJECTS and ARTISTS in DIGITIZED BODIES:- VIRTUAL SPECTACLES have
been received support from  The Department of Foreign Affairs (Canada),
The Daniel Langlois Foundation (Canada), The Canada Council for the Arts,
Social Science and Research Council of Canada, The Japan Foundation, York
University (Canada), The Canadian Embassy (Hungary) and The Toronto Arts
Council (Canada) and  Interaccess Electronic Media Arts Centre (Canada)