cdr on Sat, 20 Oct 2001 22:27:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Earth 2.0

>From the holy Daily Telegraph

>>header<<

[...] "I am surprised Professor Hawking didn't mention the danger of an
asteroid impact which is inevitable sooner or later"
Sir Arthur C Clarke
[...] Dr Benny Peiser, from Liverpool John Moores University, UK, was
highly critical of the reported remarks. He told BBC News Online that
Hawking's predictions of terrestrial disaster had become increasingly
wide-ranging and unreasonable in recent years.
[...]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1604000/1604714.stm

>>headend<<

Colonies in space may be only hope, says Hawking
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
(Filed: 16/10/2001)

The human race is likely to be wiped out by a doomsday virus before the
Millennium is out, unless we set up colonies in space, Prof Stephen
Hawking warns today.
[...] "Although September 11 was horrible, it didn't threaten the survival
of
the human race, like nuclear weapons do," said the Cambridge University
scientist.
"In the long term, I am more worried about biology. Nuclear weapons
need large facilities, but genetic engineering can be done in a small
lab. You can't regulate every lab in the world. The danger is that
either by accident or design, we create a virus that destroys us.
"I don't think the human race will survive the next thousand years,
unless we spread into space. There are too many accidents that can
befall life on a single planet. But I'm an optimist. We will reach out
to the stars."
[...] Prof Hawking believes that genetic engineering could be used
to "improve" human beings to meet the challenges of long duration space
travel.
[...] The Universe in a Nutshell, Prof Hawking's long-awaited follow-up to
the 1988 bestseller A Brief History of Time, is being serialised in the
Daily Telegraph, starting tomorrow.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/16/nhawk16.xml

The answer to the universe and everything?
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
(Filed: 17/10/2001)

[...] "We may have already identified the theory of everything," he claims
in
his new book, The Universe in a Nutshell, referring to what is
otherwise known in the scientific world as M theory, with M standing
for "mystery", "membrane" or the "mother of all strings".
M theory goes beyond the four dimensions we live in - three of space
and one of time - to suggest that there are as many as 11 dimensions.
This theory of everything would unite all the forces of the universe
with a single equation. [...]

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/17/nhawk17.xml

-

phew [tasteless newspaper-style]
i don't hope nothing after poor Douglas N. Adams died...
he was the best guy on this planet - and John Lilly ! [rip]
http://www.douglasadams.com/
http://www.eccosys.co.jp/lilly/

-

Contes De Rien