{ brad brace } on Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:12:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] flaming frescos

Pontormo died before completing the frescos, and none of

them has survived. But the great Renaissance writer Vasari,

a friend of Pontormo's who saw the frescos shortly after

the artist's death, left a description of what they looked

like. There was a total lack of proportion. Scenes bumped

against scenes, figures in one story being juxtaposed with

those in another, in maddening numbers. Pontormo had become

obsessed with detail but had lost any sense of the overall

composition. Vasari left off his description of the frescos

by writing that if he continued, "I think I would go mad and

become entangled in this painting, just as I believe that in

the eleven years of time Jacopo spent on it, he entangled

himself and anyone else who saw it." Instead of crowning

Pontormo's career, the work became his undoing.

The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project                >>>> since 1994 <<<<

+ + +         serial           ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/b/bbrace
+ + +      eccentric          ftp://ftp.idiom.com/users/bbrace
+ + +     continuous       ftp://ftp.teleport.com/users/bbrace
+ + +    hypermodern      ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +        imagery   ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace

      News://alt.binaries.pictures.12hr ://a.b.p.fine-art.misc
  Reverse Solidus: http://www.teleport.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
                   http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
           Mirror: http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/

 { brad brace }   <<<< bbrace@eskimo.com >>>>  ~finger for pgp

Note: all "Teleport" addresses (web/ftp/email) are being eliminated:
no thanks to Earthlink scum. Please choose from listed alternates.