Philip Galanter on Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:32:01 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: RHIZOME_RAW: what's da matta wit atta

And there are many many Iranians, some here, some there, who wish
Iran had never taken the giant leap back into the middle ages it did
when the Shah was overthrown.

Look, this discussion is just getting silly.

The US does not control the destiny of the Middle East.  The people
of the Middle East do...but not in any sense either you or I would
want for ourselves.  None of the Arab states are democracies, power
is unfairly distributed, and there are social and political
structures that are typically *the opposite of* multi-cultural,
adaptive, progressive...all the things I assume you believe in.

In general things are the way they are in the Middle East because
that is how those in power in the Middle East have made them.

If the US was the puppetmaster you claim, then events would have been
steered in our favor.  Things are clearly not in our favor.  Things
are clearly not under US control.

It is time to hold those in control responsible for their misdeeds.
To not treat the leaders of the Middle East as responsible moral
agents is to commit a form of racism.

Philip