David Goldschmidt on Sun, 14 Oct 2001 17:55:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] anthropics

hi all-

I belong to a list service that sends me info on companies that have recently received VC funding. I came across anthropics a couple of months ago.  I've been thinking about their technology for awhile and it really creeps me out.  I strongly recommend that you go to their site (anthropics.com) and check out their demos.  The quality and simplicity is truly amazing.  This is a company that we will need to watch very carefully.

A little about their company ...

In August 2001 Anthropics completed its first institutional funding round, taking on £5.6m in venture capital funding.

Mission: To exploit our unique technology and expertise to humanize the Web and wireless, and become the industry standard in digital human communications.

[Their product] ... enables amazing real-time image manipulation and special effects, such as changing identities of the subject. This means that completely life-like 'virtual talent' can be created and then 'animated' by anyone. Synthactor does not require any special hardware or production equipment other than a video camera (a web-cam will do!) and a PC.

david goldschmidt